'Run As' command question

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by megamaced, Jun 15, 2006.

1. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Hey guys.

Is it possible to launch administrative tools using the Run As command? Specifically, I am trying to run the Computer Management Console as Administrator but I keep getting an error message.

This is what I am doing:

Code:
    runas /user:ecsp6bat\administrator compmgmt.msc
    After I enter the administrator password, I get the error:

Code:
    RUNAS ERROR: Unable to run compmgmt.msc
    193: Compmgmt.msc is not a valid Win32 application
    Compmgmt is a valid Win32 application, so I am pretty confused by this error :x:

What am I doing wrong?

[ot]Run As looks pale when compared to *nix's sudo :D [/ot]

2. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Go throgh [link=http://66.163.193.208/HyenaBoard/Forum8/HTML/000048.html]<<<<This>>>>[/link]. You will definately work it out.

3. megamaced

I can't believe how tedious it is to perform administrative tasks under a Limited user account! :x:

To run the Computer Management Console as Administrator, one needs to type:

Code:
    runas /user:ComputerName\administrator "mmc %windir%\system3\compmgmt.msc"
    That's just shocking. I can see why it's so tempting to just run as Administrator, system-wide in Windows.

4. megamaced

Okay, i've figured out how to run Windows Control Panel applets (such as 'Add New Hardware' & 'Add/Remove Programs') using the 'runas' command. :)

In typical Microsoft fashion, the runas command is hidden away so no one knows about it, unless they are explicitly looking for such as feature :x:

To use the runas command, go to the control panel and select the desired applet you would like to run as Administrator. Click it once with the left mouse button, then hold the shift key and click with the right mouse button. You should see the 'Run As' option in the menu.

I'll update my Windows XP Security Guide with this information as it's critical that users DO NOT run as administrator system wide.

Please, if you are reading this logged in as Administrator, change your account to a 'Limited User' and use the runas command in future!

5. Karanislove

My teacher told me this long time ago about this shift function to display run as but still I dont know why I cant run Winamp in Limited users account.

6. megamaced

It's just the way that some older Windows software is designed. Winamp expects the user to be running with Administrative privileges. I consider Winamp to be legacy software as the core of that program hasn't changed it 10 years. Has it been discontinued?

Download a newer version of Winamp if there is one, or try XMMS

7. Karanislove

[link=http://winamp.com/]Winamp 5[/link] is the latest version of winamp and I think they have launched it last year. I have their latest version of it.

the only reason why I am stickin with it because of its hot keys. I know nearly all of their shortcuts which I need. They have some very cool DSP effects enhancers. You can create the skin of your choice with their skin maker. You can use it as a DJ as well.....There is lot more in it but I cant make it running in limited user account.