S.O.S. I dont know whats wrong

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG, Apr 8, 2006.

1. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

I have suspicions, but it started off like this

(computer was workin perfectly the day before)
    It told me twice i had a VGA failure, so I made sure all the cables plugged in etc, checked the fan and took some dust out, and it worked, so now after I turn it on, my PSU (check my specs on side) started flickering like crazy and the fan wasent going, so I completely turned it off (computer was not working that time) so I put a heavy fan in front of the computer and at start up, psu was flickering like a madman but before I moved to turn the pc off, it completely went back on course and started working fine, I'm seriously worried of a possible PSU failure, but I do know that dust is playing a major role and im gonna get it dusted under some nice high psi rates today

ill post later, but please try to find whats not working, i check my VGA card and other components through tests and theyre fine

my only two observations are dust and the PSU

goes to prove a lesson, dust is deadly?

and as a side note, sorry but i havent been really looking over the latest in vid cards and all that, but has nvidia yet invented cards that mix and match with other sli compatible cards? and I was checkin out some stuff yesterday, holy crap a dual core FX60?

can you say speechless?

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

make sure you don't use to much air it can damage stuff or knock things loose

sounds like your power supply may have died

3. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

its working perfectly as we speak, it was just flickering

maybe it could die soon, that wouldnt be good, i just spent around 260$ for prom and am saving up for a recording studio

4. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

check the power wire properly inserted in it coz sometimes that makes some hissing noise too~!

5. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Hey zRoCk, haven't seen you around here in a while, how's it going?

Right, check that things are seated properly, take things out (RAM, Vid Card etc) and make sure there is no dust in all the slots (that's a good idea to do every now and then anyway)

I reckon it's a PSU issue too, have you tried starting your PC up as barebones with only minimal components?

nVidia haven't made 'mix and match' SLI yet, and yeah AMD's new FX is Dual Core and named the FX60 (2 x 2.6GHz Cores, 1MB L2 cache per core), although X2's with a slight overclock are almost as good and a fraction of the price.