sata slave ide master

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by volote, May 25, 2004.

1. volote

volote Geek Trainee

just as the title suggests. i have a 120gb sata western digital and a 40gb maxtor ide. how do i go about making the sata my slave (backup and storage unit) and the ide the master on a k8v deluxe mb? i had the maxtor working fine after all my hardware installs, but right after i had installed the new catylist drivers, hooked up my 2nd hdd, and booted back up everything failed into a bluescreen and now my \systems dir is corrupt/missing. as a matter of fact, i get this error like once a month and it's pissing me off. two hard-drives so far and i get a corrupt \systems dir/file. i'm thinking i'm totally ef'ing something up here. suggestions? or rather, answers? :) thx

-frustrated to no freaking end; i'd love to bludg'n her-

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

OK, I think that part of the problem is that your terminology is a little confused. I know, IDE terms are very nebulous, but bear with me. The "Master / Slave" designation is to differentiate between the position of a drive on a parallel ATA chain. There are only two possibilities: master and slave. With Serial ATA there is no slave, only a master drive. This doesn't mean that your system cannot see your parallel ATA drive as your primary drive should you choose to do so; you choose which HDD is the bootable one from your system BIOS. The IDE channels and SATA channels are completely seperate. As for your system crash, I think that's a separate issue. Could you tell us a little more about the problem?

Thanks,
    -AT

3. volote

volote Geek Trainee

argh?

whenever my system does the final "i'm dead" crash i get the blue screen during the boot. after i reset it's the error screen telling me there's corruption in my windows directory and that's the end of it. i just re-installed xp and as of right now i only have my ide as my boot drive and i wish to make my 120gb sata my 2ndary if possible. when i attempted to hook up my 2nd harddrive, all hell broke loose :) any help provided?

-why do sata drives blow nuts?-

4. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I really don't think your SATA has anything to do with it. I used to run Windows 2000 Pro on a SATA drive, and I never had a problem. Your issue could be caused by your IDE jumper settings; after all, your OS is crashing on your IDE drive, not your SATA one, right? It could also be bad SATA / IDE drivers, a bad or insufficient PSU, or simply Windows being Windows.