SCSI card fails to boot

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by mctee155, Dec 5, 2003.

1. mctee155

mctee155 Guest

I have just gotten into SCSI, I have a file server set up with 5 18GB Seagate hard drives (Cheetah ST118202LC) with an LSIU160 controller. I haven’t yet gotten these drives to boot.

The problem is when the cable is connected to the controller card the hard drives do not turn on and the system freezes after it initializes the controller card and when it tries to detect the hard drives. The LED on the drive is on but no spin up. The drives spin up just fine if I unplug the cable from the card, the controller card functions normally but with nothing connected to it.

I have checked the BIOS and removed all the IDE HD entries in the setup but every time I reboot it gets to the card and freezes. I have tested the drives on an old 50-pin SCSI card I had and they work just fine they power up and are detected, I have read and written data to them as well. I have also made sure that the SCSI IDs have been properly set and I have a terminator on the end of my 68-pin cable. If there is anything else I’m missing please let me know.

Mctee155

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, you might wanna test the card on another system and see if it does the same thing there. Another thing you can try is removing all cards except the video and SCSI and see if that's helps any. If it does, start adding the cards in slowly.

If those two ideas don't work, you might have a faulty card or some incompatibility that can't be resolved with your current setup. Try getting a new card (I don't know if that's possible with LSI out of the picture).