Seagate Barracuda -need help!

Discussion in 'Drivers and Firmware' started by Nick Lecz, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Nick Lecz

Nick Lecz Geek Trainee

Hy.I got a Seagate Barracuda (old IDE) HDD that i bought around 1 year ago.Today,after a shut down and start again (1 hour interval) my HDD made a short cranking/grinding sound for 2-3 seconds at random times.When ever this happens ANY program/application/etc related to the HDD it will stop responding as if in a memory loss or something,and after 1 min after they stopped the whole PC freezes.

I have to mention that i have formated it and it still happens.Also it is a 2nd drive,it isnt my main OS drive.

This happened some time ago,and i went with it to the shop that i bought it from and they said it was just fine and as a possible "solution" they formated it and it worked.

I also run some HDD scanning applications and stuff and it appeared to be just fine.

As i wrote this i reinstalled some games back on the drive and it didnt do the sound again or any other problems.

Any help would be of a great.

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

It sounds like bad sectors on the drive, You need to run scandisk to TRY to fix...

3. amerifax

amerifax Geek Trainee

Seagate - You sure have the right drive. I would not miss around. Get a hold of Seagate and I'm sure they will be happy to repalce.

Bob