Seagate SCSI HD

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by koln, Aug 28, 2002.

1. koln

koln Geek Trainee

This is goin to be a stupid question buy anyway...

I have a Ultra Wide SCSI Seagate hard disk but im not sure what SCSI card to buy for it. Do i have to get Ultra Wide card or would just Ultra be fine? And what is difference between them? Can anyone suggest specific card to get?

thx :)

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I'm a little bit in the dark on SCSI, but I believe plain SCSI is 8-bits wide, and wide SCSI (ultra wide for you) is 16-bits wide. There are also SCSI, SCSI-2, and SCSI 3, all of which come in narrow and wide formats.
    If it is just plain SCSI, you should be able to pick up a card fairly cheap: ~$50 USD for an Adaptec SCSI controller. This will be for a 50-pin drive---which look very similar to IDE connectors--but you'll have some extra room if you try to plug in an IDE ribbon cable (I know this first hand). If it's the newer 68-pin SCSI, you'll have to look into something a little more expensive: ~$150-200USD.

If that doesn't answer your questions, you might wanna head over to 2CPU and hit the Storage section of the forums. There are some FAQ's that might help you there. If you are still running into problems, get ahold of Upabevoit---he really knows his stuff when it comes to all things SCSI.

Good luck.

3. koln

koln Geek Trainee

thanks for your help Big B.

SCSI hd i have does have 68 pins so i guess u have to get ultra wide card for it if i want to use it.
    only thing im concerned about would it be worth it since hd is only 9.1 GB? :confused:

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Depends on how much you want to get into SCSI. Check around on www.pricewatch.com and then check www.resellerratings.com to see if the particular vendor is any good. Tekram has some fairly cheap SCSI 3 cards that you might find for $150 or less brand new. You might also try looking into an LSI Logic card---these are what Tekram uses, but LSI just makes their own cards. I am not sure if they have 64-bit/66MHz PCI slots---something you should be careful about as you'll probably run into something other than the 32-bit/33MHz PCI slots that are on home systems.