Second hard drive not recognised in Mandriva.

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by DavidNW, Oct 31, 2006.

1. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Hi, everyone.

Well, after too many issues with XP, I finally decided to give up using it the other day. Now, I have installed Mandriva 2006 on my first hard drive (40 GB) and everything is working great! My second hard drive (80 GB) shows up in Mandriva's equivilent of XP's 'Disk Management'.

I want to use this second drive for storing data in Mandriva. I have formatted it in the 'ext 3' filing system type and mounted it, but it will not show up as a usable drive anywhere on the KDE desktop. Does anyone know how I can sort this out?

Many thanks,

David.

2. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Where did you mount it ?

Providing your fstab is set correctly, It should show up in Konquerer, at leats under System -> Storage Media.

You can create a shortcut to the device on your desktop.

3. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

I mounted it in '/var' I don't know if this is correct. No, it does not show up in Konquerer. I'm sure it's something simple, but it's got me stumped at the moment.

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

although it is perfectly viable to mount a partition anywhere, it's kind of "good practice" to mount partitions in the /mnt directory

here's my /mnt directory

[​IMG]

could you please post your fstab

5. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Cheers, Dave.

Yeah, tried getting the drive to show up in Konqueror, but ended up screwing up the mandriva installation - I've just had to reinstall - arrrrrgh!

Here's a screenshot of the hard drive - perhaps you could tell me if anything is wrong with way I have mounted it as it it still does not show up in Konqueror?

Cheers,

David.

6. donkey42

donkey42 plank

i'm not very familier with mandy, just booting mandy in VMware, will let you know what i discover

7. donkey42

donkey42 plank

right running mandy
    i think you need to "format" and "mount" the partition

then MCC will look something like this
    [​IMG]

BTW: don't forget to save changes

8. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Thanks, but it's formatted and mounted (just checked). Can't make out your screenshot, btw, the image is far too small to read.

I think this one will take a bit of figuring out although you might have thought accessing a second HD should be simple.

9. donkey42

donkey42 plank

just click the screenshot to zoom in

BTW: i don't know if you have to create /mnt/windows manually in mandy, will boot mandy again to see

10. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Right, it's definately mounted now - see screenshot - but it's still not showing up in Konqueror. I think this one is going to run and run!

Cheers,

David.

11. donkey42

donkey42 plank

open konqueror (not as root) and navigate to /mnt then on menu click <View> <View Mode> and select tree mode, and post screenshot also post a screenshot of the same location but as root

12. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Right, this is getting even weirder now. Please see this screenshot. The disk /dev/hdb1 is showing up in 'DiskFree', but not in 'Konqueror' (as you can see) so I can't access it. I just don't understand this one!

The hard disk you can see in 'Konqueror' is my external drive - not the second hard disk (/dev/hdb1) that I have referred to above.

13. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Okay, not quiet sure I understood what you were asking, but here are the screenshots:

14. donkey42

donkey42 plank

as you can see on the attachment (imageshack down)
    • the owner of windows is root
    • access to windows is only allowed to group, root

[ot]i've just figured it out, look here[/ot]

BTW: you can also alter the permissions by: <Right Click> <Properties> <Permissions tab>

15. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Thanks, but no joy. The permissions can't be changed under Properties as the options are greyed out. I'm really stumped on this one, so will have to call it a day for now. I can't believe that something so seemingly simple is proving to be this difficult.

Cheers,

Dave.

16. kenji san

kenji san Geek Trainee

You are looking at /dev in konq. You just need to point it at /mnt/windows

17. kenji san

kenji san Geek Trainee

You cannot change root permissions as a normal user. If you use superuser file manager (I'm not sure what it is called) or use kdesu to launch konq as root and then change permissions.

Permissions are very picky and only root can do big changes like what you want to do with the entire mount point.

18. donkey42

donkey42 plank

kenji means type
    Code:
    kdesu konqueror
    the two common ways of running something as root
    • kdesu <command> - graphical programs
    • sudo <command> - konsole programs

Edit: then navigate to /mnt then right click and change permissions

19. kenji san

kenji san Geek Trainee

Thanks for clarifying.

Also you may run things as root from the 'run' box. Alt+F2 (or on K menu) opens the 'run command' and if you expand options, there is an option to "run as a different user". Just run as 'root' and type password. That is usually what I do.

20. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Things are becoming a little clearer re: 'Permissions'. However, I'm starting to think that I'm choosing to mount the drive in the wrong place in the first instance.

I you look at the attached screenshot you will see where my DVD, CD, & external drives are - this is where I want my second hard drive to go.

When I go into Mandriva's 'disk management' and get the option to select a 'mount point', the pull down menu gives a list of possible options (but you can type in your own). I feel I should type in '/ (device)' as seen in the screenshot.

I've now screwed up 2 installations of Mandriva by trying to mount this second drive (probably in the wrong place).

I don't really know what I'm doing - but surely, formatting a second hard drive so that you can use it to store data on in a computer has got to be the simplest of things to achieve - but it isn't proving to be.

Thanks for your help, guys. I'll just call it a day on this one.