Second hard drive not recognised in Mandriva.

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by DavidNW, Oct 31, 2006.

1. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

If you want your 2nd hard drive to appear alongside the CD-ROMs etc, you should mount your hard drive in /media

Example:

/media/hard_drive_name

2. kenji san

kenji san Geek Trainee

I am not entirely sure about this but that "device:/" thing is not really a part of the file system. You MUST mount to a point on the file system. To keep you computer less cluttered it is better to mount it in /mnt or /<whatever_name_you_want>, like /windows /hdb /driveB whatever.

Mandriva doesn't always follow conventions like it should. Some KDE based distros use a directory called /media for all external drives, CDs, DVDs etc. (all drives that are removable or not always mounted).

This should be simple, you are right. If you follow convention, it will be very easy and we can walk you through it.

If I knew mandriva better I might have some better advice.

3. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Hello, again.

Finally got the drive mounted where I want it in Konqueror (please see screenshot). Yipeeee - I thought - finally cracked it.

However, I cannot access the drive due to not having the right permissions apparently.

I have tried going into a terminal and using the 'chmod 777' command, but I'm not sure of the syntax. Does anyone know exactly what I would have to type in the terminal window to allow read & write access to all users - or failing that, myself, 'david'.? The hard disk I refer to is 4th from the left in the screenshot & is formatted in 'ext 3'.

Cheers,

David.

4. megamaced

Try this command as root

Code:
    chmod +w /path_to/hard_drive_name

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

well on a single user PC linux has at least 2 users
    • root (all linux OS's)
    • david (in your case)
    you need to allow yourself access to the mounted directory, this is not the correct way of doing it, but it works, you need to run konqueror as root and navigate to the directory
    <right click> <properties> <permissions> (on the directory you wish to change the permissions of) then you will see "Owner" & "Group" change owner to "david"

you will also see the drop down selection boxes, these allow access (but you must be root to modify any of these settings)

6. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Thanks, guys.

I'll try the suggestions and let you know how it goes. I've even been on to the Mandriva Users forum and their suggestions have not worked!

Who would have ever thought getting a second hard drive to work could be so difficult?

7. Addis

Addis The King

David, try
    Code:
    chmod -R 777 /path/to/mount/point

8. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Thanks, guys. I'll give it all the suggestions a go in a week or so.

Off Topic: I've just discovered ubuntu - what a smashing bit of kit! I'm looking through the package manager to find Opera - but no luck so far.

Cheers,

David

9. kenji san

kenji san Geek Trainee

Because Opera is not open source, it is in an additional software repository that must be enabled manually. See the guide here

It is all very simple. Good luck.

10. megamaced

As Kenji said, look at the Ubuntu thread. Go to the 'sources list' and copy the Opera repository. Then import the key.

BTW, if you are running the latest Ubuntu release then you shouldn't use that guide. Only the Opera and Skype repositories are relevant.

11. DavidNW

DavidNW Big Geek

Cheers, guys.

Mega, I'm running 'Ubuntu Dapper Beta'. I've had the live/install CD since about February, so I'm guessing it's not the lastest. I've just used the respositories list in the Ubuntu guide (so far) not the Opera one. Everything seems to have worked so far.