Second monitor has "no Signal"

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by CodeCola, Aug 14, 2006.

1. CodeCola

CodeCola Geek Trainee

This is weird because everything was working just fine. I have 2 TFT displays connected to my Windows 2003 server box. I have nVidia GEForce5500 Graphics Card whose DVI-to-VGA adapter I used to extend my display. I set the second one (Daewoo HL710S) as the second monitor with "Extend your display" property in the Display settings. This was working just great for 3 weeks.

Last week I may have touched something on the connectors and the second display since then shows "NO SIGNAL". Of course I checked, tightened and did this again for the DVI-to-VGA adapter as well as the incoming connections.

I noticed that when the computer boots up, the second monitor displays just fine (the Windows 2003 Server logo etc). As soon as the machine boots up the display says "no signal".

I read somewhere the DVI-to-VGA adapter is basically an analog device. But all this was working just fine, I dont know what I touched off for this to stop working. Any ideas anyone?

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

have you tried swaping the monitors around

3. Merlin

Merlin Geek Trainee

If you go into your settings in display properties it will tell you the status of the second monitor and what happens when you click the identify button? does the big 2 appear on the second screen?

4. CodeCola

CodeCola Geek Trainee

The second monitor show "no signal" so I cannot see the Identify letter. BTW I find that in Device Manager --> Monitors I can see my primary (Samsung) monitor and 3 other "default monitor" when iI have only 1 another monitor!?!? Strange - I have tried uninstalling them but they keep coming back. I booted into safe mode and then the second monitor works allright - so the DVI-to-VGA adapter is ok as are the wire connections. Also unistalled the Display Driver (nVidia) but nothing helps. I have tried everything that makes sense, but I am short of ideas now...

5. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

are you sayin gthat the monitor that wasnt working started to work when in safe mode

6. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Yes, I think he is. that would mean that a process that normally boots with Windows is kepping it form working. Have you recently installed any new software?