Setting Up Cron Jobs?

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by ProcalX, Oct 19, 2004.

1. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

i have setup a samba server / dhcp server and SQL server succesfully, they all run without a hitch, however when i reboot half of it doesn't work, as they are not being started as system processes, i am using SuSe Linux Pro 9.1, i presume that cron jobs are that of which i need?

If so could anyone point me in the rough direction of how to do it?

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

You should be able to manage the system processes with Suse's YAST tool. Cron is for scheduling commands/scripts to run at designated times, for automation purposes (i.e. update, clean tmp folders, check file permissions, email reports, etc).

3. DannC

DannC Geek Trainee

I second that. You need to specify to start these services after booting, (or when your computer reaches a certain run level)..
    It's been a while since I used Linux, so I can't remember which run level is which.

However, there is a file that is there (or can be easily created) to specify things that you want to start after booting. General rule of thumb, look for a file called rc.local.. usually something like /etc/rc.d/rc.local or /etc/init.d/rc.local.

in this file type out the commands that you normally would to start the services.