Should I buy a new motherboard?

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by JG4m3r, Dec 3, 2012.

1. JG4m3r

JG4m3r Geek Trainee

So I'm going to upgrade my 4 years old computer this christmas, with a budget of about 1500 kr(265 dollars, but evereything is at least 50% more expensive in Norway). My current rig consists of a Asus p5q pro turbo motherboard, with 4GB DDR2 RAM, Intel CORE 2 duo processor, some old slow 500 GB 5400 Rpm. hard-drive, and a fairly good graphics card. This year I'm planning on upgrading to 16 GB of RAM, and adding a 256 GB SSD. My current motherboard supports all of this, but the problem is that I'll have to buy DDR2 RAM, and next year I'm planning on buying a new processor, which will not be supported by my current motherboard.
    So my question is, should I buy a new motherboard, and if so, do you have any tips to which model I should buy?

2. Jan Benedict

Jan Benedict Geek

If your Core 2 Duo system still runs, that's still fine. I've been rocking my Core 2 Duo system for about 5 years then had enough money to build a new rig the Core 2 Duo does not disappoint.

1. 16Gb of RAM will require you to re-install OS with a 64 bit one, since 4Gb is the max RAM that will be recognized on a 32 bit system.
    2. What will you use your computer for? If gaming, 8Gb is enough, 8Gb more/16Gb more will be for photo editing, major video editing and rendering and that stuff.

My best suggestion is that, buy an SSD, install OS and other programs you want there for faster execution speed, buy a better GPU if your gonna do a lot of gaming and another HDD for more space. If you feel you want to upgrade motherboard and cpu cause you think it's slow, then I can't stop you there. If you feel you want more FPS in games, then buy an SSD and a better GPU and probably a case for looks or another HDD for space.
    If you won't or can't use all that 16Gb of RAM then don't buy them especially a DDR2 ram, which might have a chance that you can't use it on your new board later on. Also DDR3 RAM are much faster, and is relatively cheap some even run at 1600mhz.

If you want a new motherboard and cpu now, you can get it at around $260, a bulldozer chip and a 990fx mobo. If you want the new vishera processors from AMD then it will cost you about $280.

Thanks.

3. JG4m3r

JG4m3r Geek Trainee

I'm allready running 64 bit Windows 7.
    I'm using my computer for making 3d-models, photoediting, and video-editing, so I basically need as much RAM as absloutely possible. Even thought my grahics card can't run the craisiest games like Battlefield 3, it is still able to run Crysis 2, MW3, Skyrim and GTA 4, without any problems, so the graphics card is the last thing that I'll upgrade.

4. Jan Benedict

Jan Benedict Geek

Do you prefer Intel or AMD? With Intel, changing motherboards is a usual thing, while AMD am3+ boards you can have lots of options from the Phenom to Bulldozer to Piledriver to Steamrollers.
    If you can fit an am3+ board + a phenom or fx chip + a 8gb dual channel ram to your given budget then that would be perfect. But you can't use your lga 775 system.
    If you go with buying the DDR2 RAM, then you should buy a motherboard which supports DDR2 RAM when you upgrade processor.

Another option:
    Upgrade to 16Gb of RAM and SSD, use the system for a while.. When the time comes that you need to upgrade processor, buy a motherboard and processor, build a new system. Now you have 2 systems, all for video editing, photo editing, 3d-models. <<< this option, in my opinion is irrational.