Should we be playing God?

Discussion in 'The War Zone' started by megamaced, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

Hmm, I have read the past three pages with great intrest on the views put forward but don't seem to see this idea put forward quite as clearly as I would like:

Who's to say it's being God? I think it is evolution- through our evolution we have aquired the knowledge to change the genetic makup of organic life... as long as we apply this knowledge in a sensible and mature way I think we should do it.

As animals evolve they aquire new tools to do neccesary jobs:

• Apes evolved apposable thumbs to hold onto tree branches

• Giraffes evolved long necks to reach foliage higher up

• Purhaps humans evolved the brains that could comprehend genetic knowledge to further our own species?
    You may say that it is evolution that created the malaria to control the numbers of humans but maybe it is just forcing us to apply some knowledge that will help us even further somewhere down the line.

There is also the question of the greater good, we are the most dominant species on the planet, something is killing us, we should do all in our power to stop it as long as the possible result greatly outweighs any possible ramifications.

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I understand your point. However, what I'm getting at is in parallel with this. I'm saying that while we cannot change the past, we should learn from it. We can change the future by being level-headed in the present. That means that if we're going to make a major change which will effect every person on the globe, we'd damn well better be sure about it first.

Most of the reason such technology is being rushed to market with a minimal test cycle is pure corporate greed. I don't doubt there are potential benefits, but what we have to examine is where the motivation ceases to be the betterment of civilization and where it becomes the betterment of somebody's bank account. I'd say that being cautious where greed is involved is not only reasonable, it should demanded in such circumstances.

3. Egaladeist

Egaladeist I am the Eg Man

Absolutely! ;)

I agree we are at the point now where we can attempt to look at things objectively and have patience in making decisions...but we don't want to fall into the opposite end of the spectrum either...
    before we were unconcerned about the consequences of our actions...in the pursuit of progress...
    now...we don't want to become so concerned with the consequences that we inhibit progress ;)

and I absolutely agree with your evaluation of the greed factor. ;)

4. SMB

SMB Geek Trainee

i have a very long and convincing answer, but im gonna keep it short...... No. Unless its good overall. lol

5. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

well, like what eg was saying, we will never grow or learn anything if we don't try. And, like i said, were are making it so Mosquitoes they are resistant to Malaria. So we are changing something yes, there is no doubt there, but again, these people are really really smart. I doubt they would do something to that would be extremely detrimental to the world. Yes, it may be wreckless and something bad could come from it, but there is a growing threat no doubt. Look what happened a couple years ago, when all of the mosquitoes starting finding there way up through Mexican, and were fine in more northern areas. What if they spread all throughout the US. That said, for all we know, mosquitoes could just all of a sudden just inherently carry some deadly disease. So what do we do then, let almost every one die, or change mosquitoes so they no longer are born with a crazy disease. This all goes back to what every one is saying, do we mess with stuff thats the world has put in place, or should we just leave it alone. Well in a sense, i think since we have added the "human" element to almost everything, whether it was planned or just happened, we have a certain responsibility to ourselves and the world. Not saying that the choices we make are necessarily right, but something needs to be done, and until we find a more permanent solution, i think this is a start.