Shutdown problems in XP

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by Crusha19, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Crusha19

Crusha19 Aspiring Poker Player

On my grandparents computer it takes a very longtime to shut down. When I go to Start/Turn off computer and click on shutdown or restart it takes a very long time to turn off. (at least 10 min) I usually have to use the power button on the case to turn off the computer. Is this caused by something running in the background or is there something else wrong?

2. zeus

zeus out of date

This could be anything to be honest!

Id try the usualy spyware and antivirus checks to start with, and a defrag. After that its probably a particular program hich is having difficulty closing.

Type msconfig into "run" and see what startup programs are running. I use as few as possible; well mcafee firewall is the only one I startup with. If you disable all these and still have a shutdown problem it may be a program which is installed.

3. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

I suspect that a program is having difficulty closing. Do you get any 'End Task' dialogs when the computer tries to shutdown?

Check the Task Manager for running programs

4. yorkkev28

yorkkev28 HWF Minion

I have 11 items running in my taskbar and my system takes about 40-50 secs to turn itself off. But thats just cause i need all of them. How many items are in yr taskbar. Try a disk clean as well, you may have old programs running in the background you don't know about

5. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

What Anti virus are you using? let us know what you have running in the tray next to the clock.. Also I would defrag as mention and run any Antivirus and spyware programs.. It seems to me you have some program stuck open,This can be caused by allot of things..

6. Crusha19

Crusha19 Aspiring Poker Player

well they are running norton ( I tried to convince them to get AVG but couldnt, they think it will be crap because it is free) and i installes SBS&D adn Adaware. There are no endtask dialalouges. I am not sure how many programs are in the taskbar but there are quite a few. Thank you for the help

7. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Removing shut down music will also reduce the time....... you will find it in control panel > sounds..

8. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Well there is your problem right there , Remove Norton , Norton is one of the WORST AV's to use.. I have to uninstall it at work at least 3 or 4 time a day.
    This SO called antiVirus is a Virus in its own way. It sucks up all the resources in your computer it can get ... I would try AVG or Avast or Bitdefender,
    Bitdefender makes a very good AV,and they make a free version. I would suggest ANY OTHER AV, than Norton & McAfee ... These are the two worst.
    In My opinion Kaspersky is the best,But this is just my Opinion.