Sig Tags??

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by UnSeEn, Aug 21, 2006.

1. UnSeEn

UnSeEn Mayor McCheese

I've been wondering this for some time now. I notice certain people (such as Willz) have sig tags such as "Creative User" and "Linux User" and even "Powered by Logitech Hardware". I've seen ones for games too (much more appealing to me :) ). Where might one go about getting those? I can't seem to find them on the Internet...

2. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

hello if i may... wot the heck is a signature tag

3. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

4. UnSeEn

UnSeEn Mayor McCheese

Ahh..Sniper, me laddy, you're a fine help! That's exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks!

5. Egaladeist

Egaladeist I am the Eg Man

My question would be...why would you want to?

When I was a kid I used to get my tee-shirts from Midas...but they gave them away free for promotion...we didn't buy them...

I never understood why anyone would wear a hat, jacket, shirt, or have a signature advertising products...
    not only are you providing free advertising without any compensation whatsoever...you're being duped into the ' it's cool ' by the advertisers who are using you to do it...

it is not ' cool ' to be stupid...it is not ' cool ' to be a pawn, a sucker, to advertisers...

back in the 80's advertisers convinced the public it was cool to wear their slogans and logos...they are ' using you ' to promote and advertise their products...at no cost to them...do you think Mario Andretti would wear all those logos if he wasn't being paid for them...

stop being suckers...if you wear a Nike shirt...get it free...or buy something else.

Eg ;)

6. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I can see what you're getting at and having a Nike sig bar for instance would be totally weird but on a computer related forum showing what products you use doesn't seem so bad to me. UnSeEn just wants to show off what games he's into or currently playing. It can also let others know that perhaps it'd be worth checking out that title, or if it's an online enabled game they'd know he played and could invite him etc. Differing opinions I guess.

7. UnSeEn

UnSeEn Mayor McCheese

Whoa whoa whoa.

Egaladeist, first of all, I gotta let you know this: I own NO brand name clothes whatsoever. I buy most of my mix-matched tasteless clothes at used-clothes place, not Wal-Mart or Old Navy. In fact, I agree with you totally. Today's generation is ruled by consumerism and advertising (and let's not forget conformity). No, I just wanted the tags to show my favorite games or bands, like Exfoliate mentioned. Sorry for the misconception ;)

8. Egaladeist

Hi Exfoliate,

When I was a kid...you would never see anyone walking around with some company logo on their jacket...unless it identified them as an employee of the company...
    the only logos anyone wore that even came close to advertising was your sports team logos...

young kids were always the exceptions...obviously you would see a 4 year old in a spiderman outfit...or a 9 year old girl might have a barbie lunchbox...but...once you hit the teen years, it was considered un-cool to act like a kid...if you were still wearing batman underwear and sleeping on superman blanets you sure as hell didn't want anyone to know about it ;)

it's like sometime in the 80's everyone went advertising stupid...probably their brains were still fried from listening to disco...and all of a sudden designer clothes came into style and advertisers started pushing the idea with teens it was cool to promote their products and logos...

companies used to give this same stuff away 'free' for promotion...eg. airlines would ' give ' you bags with their logo on it to promote their airline. etc...

now you pay a premium price for the same thing...they charge you extra if their logo is on it

I suppose it's not so bad if you like a movie or a game and want to use it as a signature...I think some of them look pretty cool too...but...

it's just a con...to get people to advertise their products for free...and it's never cool to be conned.

Eg ;)

Edit: Hi UnSeEn,

No misconception...just making a statement ;).

Good to hear you're not falling for the hype...if more people would do that then advertisers would stop producing walking billboards...

I think some game and movie and record stuff looks sweet too...but I prefer sigs that are custom made or at least manipulated into something new ;)

9. UnSeEn

UnSeEn Mayor McCheese

Heh, yeah, I'd love to make my own custom-made sig. I've got the software to do it too (Corel Draw 10 is decent!). Just need the time and the energy. Good idea, though...indeed....

Today I wore tie-died green and yellow pants and a regular blue shirt. The kids at school think I'm a bit odd ;) I'd rather be odd than be a walking, grunting, advertisment machine. :x:

10. Egaladeist

Hi UnSeEn,

Mind you I'm not the computer graphic artist like Waffle is...and...i don't have the high tech photo software...but...

something like this?

[​IMG]

11. UnSeEn

UnSeEn Mayor McCheese

Hah! That's awesome! Looks pretty sweet for something that probably only took 10 minutes. It DID only take 10 minutes, didn't it? You weren't working on that all night just for me, were you? Awwww...thanks!

What program did you use exactly?

12. Egaladeist

Naw...it took me about 20 minutes...but that's because I don't have photoshop...so I had to design it in Geoforms and then turn it into a jpg by taking a screenshot :D

13. UnSeEn

UnSeEn Mayor McCheese

Sounds a bit labour intense to me! In about 5 minutes, I'll post again and you'll see what I can do with a little MS Paint magic. Unfortunately, my laptop has both Paintshop and Corel Draw, leaving my good ol' PC with nothing. I really must do something about that. One sec!

14. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Why not you guyz using GIMP2. Its photoshops rival and free...... Search on the net and download one.

15. Egaladeist

I'm sure you'll be able to make something nicer than I can :D most of what I have on here is work related applications...;)

Custom is the way to go...it looks a lot better.

16. UnSeEn

UnSeEn Mayor McCheese

Uhhh..better? Hehehe...umm...that's opinionated! Not bad, huh?

And yeah, Karanis, I definately need to hook my PC up with Gimp. Very decent program. Had it on my laptop for a bit...

17. Egaladeist

18. UnSeEn

UnSeEn Mayor McCheese

The Gimp is downloading! I'm excited, yet a bit scared. Why would they name an image-editing application after a bondage freak from Pulp Fiction?

"Zed, bring out The Gimp. Grandpa's birthday photos need a touch-up."

~shudder~

19. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

I think now you will change
    from your sig to GIMP :p

20. UnSeEn

UnSeEn Mayor McCheese

Oh, we'll see about that! Gimp will have to be PRETTY GOOD to stand up to Paint's simplistic artistic nature. I'm working on the same Silent Hill wallpaper. Be done in a bit. We'll see which is better...