SK-7 on DRV5

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by harrack52, Jun 25, 2003.

1. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Damn AMDMB....50000 users and not one single **** wants to answer me.
    I guess if my thread was:"I can't go past 233FSB, this board SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HELP PLEASE", I'd get more replies.
    I must look like an idiot without a $600 cad video card....don't know what I'm thinking !!

Anyways.

Currently, I have the stock hsf in a standard mid-tower case.
    The hsf is 60x60x35.

The Thermalright SK-7 with a 80x25 fan is 85x65.5x65.

I only have 10mm between the psu and the current hsf.

I also have a 80x20 case fan which is 30mm away from the current hsf.
    There also are two capacitators 30mm away from the hsf, but they seem to be far enough.

I think the SK-7/antec SmartFan 80mm will fit but very tightly. I might be able to keep the case fan but I'm not sure. It's not very important as it is there solely for my cpu temp. I need it right now, but won't need it anymore once I have the SK-7. I don't overclock so all that matters to me is a good temp at stock speed.

I was wondering if any of you have the SK-7 w/80x25 fan in a similar case ?

The numbers indicate that my new cooling setup will fit but I'd like to verify this with someone who has a similar setup.

Thanks in advance

p.s. I've said it and I'll say it again. AMDMB may have tons of mods, users, official reps, news , reviews, etc. but it doesn't matter when you can't get what you want. Hardwareforums may have only 3 mods but they actually want to help you fast.
    I'm sorry but I'm fed up with their site !

2. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

No, something's not right.
    How can the HSF be 85x65.5x65 when the fan itself is 80x80x25 ?
    it's gotta be something like 85x80x65.

Seems I won't be able to use that in this case, I'll have to find a bigger one, or buy one. The Lian-Li PC-65 looks good, at only $165 on ncix.com

3. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Even so, it only gives me 30 more mm.
    the cpu is right on the edge of the board, that's the main problem.
    I'll find something.
    but feel free to post any experience/suggestion.

thanks

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The location of the socket on the motherboard can be something of an issue. Seems to be pretty close to the edge of the board. I've run an Iwill XP333 with my SK-7 on it. The socket was very close to the top of the board, and even in a cramped case, I had no problems with it. I would suggest that you consider either removing the PSU or motherboard when installing this heatsink however. If you want a motherboard that will give you some nice space, check out the Antec SX1030's (and the other rebrands: Uneec, Chieftech, etc). The space between the average motherboard top edge and the PSU is pretty big as far as that spacing goes.

5. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I guess you meant case, unless Antec makes motherboards as of now ;)

I found a case at home that will fit my needs, even though the air flow is absolutely terrible (right now, instead of having a 80mm case fan, it's a 60mm, the temps are at 55 idle)

Here's how it's done:

The psu, instead of being on the side of the board, is on top of it(on top of the cpu), on some type of rack.
    so now, the wideness is not an issue anymore.
    The issue would be the height, but it has enough room (the hsf will be less than 70mm high, and I have at least 100mm between the board and the psu).

I won't get the best temps I could with that heatsink, but I believe it will be enough.
    If not, I've checked out the Lian-li PC-60 which 45cm high, which would be ok.
    I'll look at your suggestion also if I need a new case.

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

If the airflow sucks, you can always cut some holes in there. A dremel is nice for being able to cut different sized holes without switching cutting areas. Of course, I'd suggest practicing a little before doing your final cutting....and make sure that you take out the PC parts before doing the cutting.