Slow Booting --- WinXP

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by aks_1610, Jul 30, 2002.

1. aks_1610

aks_1610 Geek Trainee

Hi,
    I've WinXP OS. When i hibernate the system and restarts, it takes lot of time to come to its original state. This happens even when i don't have any application open.(Sometimes i've to restart the system by pressing reset button). I've also done the Scandisk+Defragmentation of the system. Recently i've formatted(Low-Level) the system,at that time also i had WinXP + Linux 7.1 installed. My system is performing very slow(earlier it wasn't), say i m copying something from CD and also my some application is also running, my application slows down(mostly mp3 songs). Before formatting everything was fine.
    My H/W config. is-----
    366 MHz(Celeron)/160MB/20 GB.
    Please Help...........:(

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Did you need to do a low level format? If you didn't, and I mean specifically instructed by your HDD company, that wasn't a real good move. The low-level formatting destroys everything then remaps the sectors, tracks, etc. In doing so, it may have given your hard drive a setup that wasn't optimal for speed. Also, with XP, you may find some more RAM to be very useful.

3. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

I had a very similar problem! When I left the computer "idle" for a while, and then started to use it, it went very slow, I tried what you have. but had to do a complete. clean install, which solved the problem. I did not find out what was causing it!

"hibernate" have you tried turning this feature off? I personaly don't use this feature...