Slow hdd

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by zeus, Jul 12, 2003.

1. zeus

zeus out of date

Ive been doing a few Sandras today, and I thick my fast hdd is performing really slowly.

Ive got two drives..... a 5400rpm Trigem 15gb
    and a western digital 7200rpm 80gb.

Earlier I had windows on the 80gb as a primary and just files on the slave 15gb.

I reinstalled windows and made the 15gb the primary and 80gb the slave. Ive got windows on the 15gb and program files and everything else on the 80gb.

I know its a funny way of doing it but I had over 40gbs of stuff I wanted to keep, I had to store it on the 80gb, so I could format, nor can I put the 40gbs anywhere whilst Im formatting.

This morning, before I formatted my 80gb scored 26,000kbps and the 15gb summit like 11,000kbps.

Now my faster 80gb is scoring about 13,000kbps
    and my slower 15gb about 15,000kbps

I was worried that my 80gb was under performing with 26,000kbps, but now Im really worried!

I thought it should get 100mbps/10,000mbps..... well in theory at least, I supposed I expected 75,000 from the faster drive.

Why would they be performing so slowly? Because the slow drive is the master? Or because windows is on the slow drive?
    Would windows run if I made the 15gb the slave?

I really dont wanna have to try and make a partition for the stuff I wanna keep. I had a quick look when I was installing windows, but it said the entire drive was already partitioned and wouldnt let me create a 'sub-partition'. I really mean extended but im guessing ntfs doesnt do extended partitions!?

Or are my scores average ! lol :D I doubt it.

many thanks guys!

2. zeus

zeus out of date

lol
    even with my slow hard drives ive just managed to get my highest ever 3d mark 2001 score.

5187 :)

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

What are you using to test the 80GB drive? Did you defrag it? That's a good thing to do now and then.

4. zeus

zeus out of date

I have been using sandra 2003 pro.
    Ill do another benchmark and see how its doing today.

I have defragged both drives since I reinstalled windows.

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Benchmarks are fine, but if you can't feel the difference there's really no need to worry.

6. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

I'd have to agree with Big B, if you cant feel the difference, then no need to worry. Though defrag should help out a bit. or it could be cuz you have alot of stuff on your 80GB?

7. zeus

zeus out of date

They seem to have gone back to the way they used to be.

The 80gb is quite full, I think theres 20gbs left, and about 10gb left on the smaller drive.

I havent really noticed any difference though. The only thing I have noticed is when windows xp fades to balck and white when your shutting down or changing the desktop settings, it stutters a bit. Nothing serious.

Cheers guys ! :)

8. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

My score is around 20000 with a WD 40gb 2mb cache.

75000 would be the kind of score a 73gb 15krpm SCSI drive in a RAID config would get, according to sandra. (It actually gets 93000 :p )