Slow Play back DVD PLZ help

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by jaxxe, Sep 10, 2003.

1. jaxxe

jaxxe Geek Trainee

specs:
    amd athlon 1.3ghz
    640mb sd 133 ram
    ati radeon 8500 le 128mb AGP
    XP Professional
    NEC dv-5800a dvd 16x
    cd-rw 12x10x32
    40gb hhd 7200rpm 2mb cache
    18gb hhd 7200rpm 8mb cache

just upgraded from win98se to winxp pro, with clean format and dos install reloading everything, with all correct drivers e.t.c

my dvd used to play very fast without any hitches good quality e.t.c

i've installed windvd 2000 - result: plays "copy right" warning and 1st video for the specific dvd publisher, then kicks back to an the default windvd 2000 screen.

i've installed powerdvd v4 - results: error stating: disc inhibited playback, check dvd disc for damage or scratches, 'Detailed info': go clean your cd, the cd is brand new no scratches no dust no nothing its fine 100% excellent condition, is my dvd player f*cked?

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

so the DVD play doesnt play any dvds? from the message you got it sounds like maybe its a region issue? where as the dvd player has been locked the one region.

I know, well I read when you get a new dvd player, you can select the region a couple of times, buth then they get locked. So you will have to seach for a 'region free' hack for the player! assuming thats what is causing the problem? maybe try another dvd playing software?

so you just did a clean install of the system to XP? and nothing else?

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

In my experience, PowerDVD has never played nice under any NT OS, and it's why I just don't use it. WinDVD has been pretty good to me, though. Since there are DVD codecs installed with the DVD software, Media Player can play DVD's under XP for you, so don't uninstall PowerDVD or WinDVD. Try running the DVD's under that and see if you get the problems. You might have to see about getting a newer copy of WinDVD, as that proves to be pretty reliable for me.

You can also try uninstalling the DVD software, deleting both folders, searching the registry and removing any instances of either software from the registry (it's a good idea to back up before you play around with that thing), reboot, then reinstall WinDVD or Power DVD.

4. jaxxe

jaxxe Geek Trainee

tbh guys, i'm just gonna replace the dvd drive with a newer 1 then swap the pc for a laptop, i need 1 for my course anyway, shame i liked to have played a dvd! until i sell i will try what u have said