Small Business Server Advice

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by lfc123, Feb 19, 2014.

1. lfc123

lfc123 Geek Trainee

Hello everyone,

I'm going to be building and setting up a small business server for my business and would like some help/recommendations. The business itself currently has 5 computers and may expand to a maximum of 8/9 in the future. The files that will be stored on the server will all be small word documents so a large amount of space is not required. Although the documents are small word documents, they are important and reliability is needed. Therefore, I have gone for two small hard drives in RAID 1.

Ideally, the server should be able to:
    -Run a file share system with restricted access by user account.
    -Be a domain controller (So that it stores all the user accounts on the server, and any user account can be accessed on any PC that is connected to the server).
    -Run a print server.

This is what I’ve decided on so far:
    Case: Zalman - ZM-T1 PLUS (£19.99 @ Overclockers UK)
    CPU: Intel Celeron G1610 2.6GHz Dual-Core
    Motherboard: Asus P8H61-M LX3 PLUS R2.0 (Already bought it a few months ago for use as a backup)
    Memory: Kingston Value 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory (£24.00 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: 2x Western Digital AV 160GB 3.5" 7200RPM (WD1600AVJS) in RAID 1.
    RAID controller: StarTech 4 Port PCI SATA RAID Controller Adapter Card (Amazon UK)

I’ve got a list of 3 PSU’s, and can’t decide which one to go with:

1) Corsair VS450 (450W)
    2) Be Quiet! BN220 (300W)
    3) Zalman ZM450-GS (450W)

Any suggested improvements/corrections on the above hardware?

The main issue that I have is software; Windows Server 2012 or Windows Server Essentials 2012. Which is easier to setup, use and maintain? I am very experienced with Windows 7 but have never used a server OS before. Would Server Essentials be easier to setup and use?
    I've heard that Windows Server 2012 Essentials is MUCH harder to use than Windows Small Business Server 2011 for newbies. From the videos and screenshots that I've seen Windows SBS 2011 seems much better suited to my use than Server 2012 Essentials.
    From what you guys have seen, do you think that its true?

Thanks in advance.

2. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

As you already have motherboard, there is not much parts to choose from.

For PSU's, 1. is Corsair cheap series, other two have dual +12V rails. None of those have very high quality but in that use all should go fine.

Cannot say anything from software side though.