smilies?

Discussion in 'HWF Info & Issues' started by Egaladeist, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Egaladeist

Egaladeist I am the Eg Man

seems the smilies don't work for me...and i'm having problems with other areas...like when i try to access the " my computer " under people's Avatar...reputation points...and with some games like tetrus...they don't come up...?

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I noticed that using a link to a thread straight from the Zone365 website acted wonky, but didn't do it when going to the forum main page first then hitting up the thread.

3. Egaladeist

all the basic stuff seems to be working...and the only game that won't come up seems to be tetrus...but any extra stuff like mentioned above won't respond at all!Anyone else havin' this problem with the smilies,etc?

if it's just me...could i have deleted something i shouldn't have...i did a clean-up to open up some space...but the only application/program i deleted was WinZip...and it was just the evaluation download...the control box said it was used frequently...but i don't remember ever using it!

what happens when i try to place a smily or check reputation points is i get back-to-top like a back-to-top button!

4. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

when you reply use the Go Advanced options from there in the Miscellaneous Options make sure you have the Disable smilies in text > Unticked

let me know if this works

5. Egaladeist

Sniper...that's the first thing i checked...and it's always been un-checked...what happens is when i try to access reputation points, smilies, i get a back-to-top reaction...when i click my computer under someone's avatar i get nothing...and when i try to access the game tetris i get the sidebar but not the game yet all the other games come up...so i haven't a clue why it's doing this? thanks! i can't use the bold, underline, etc either...i get the back-to-top with those as well!

6. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Eg, Uninstall Mozilla and download the latest version straight from their site.

I had this problem but it was solved by doing this, i think it's either a bug with the new version or it's just that your using the beta version which had lots of bugs in it.

7. Egaladeist

Hi, ProcalX! don't think that's the problem though...i just checked it out on another site i haven't been to in awhile...had no problem with their smilies, bold, posting or anything else...whatever the problem is it seems to generate from this site only...smilies!

8. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

If i'm wrong please correct me but i presume that your problems are:
    You can click on the "My Computer" link, but it does not do anything, ie no info comes up..
    You can see the smilies in the forums, it's just when you click on them when posting that it does nothing..
    When you hover your mouse over the "smilies" in the smilie box, or the "my computer" link or the "reputation image" you do not get any information boxes come up..

If so then i would say that either Java has been disabled, or restricted to a certain amount of for some reason your mozilla is not generating the Java code properly..

When you click on a smilie it is Java Script, so when you click on a smilie it inserts VB forum code for that smilie into your post (where ever your text cursor is), when you post, the forum see's the "VBulletin (VB) code" and links that to an image that has been specified to be associated with it.

ie in a post if you type:
    PHP:
    :good:
    (its not PHP ignore that) it will associate that with inputing a : :good: into your post.

To see if it is Java Script errors, do this:
    Open Mozilla and goto: Tools then you should have "Java Script Console click that, if there are errors in it, then you know that your java is not upto date.

So.. download the latest version of Mozilla FireFox, if its still not working goto:
    http://www.java.com/en/download/windows_automatic.jsp

and update or download the latest version of Sun Java

9. Egaladeist

10. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

I had the exact same error one my machine at work, completely out of the blue, i downloaded the latest version of Sun Java, removed Mozilla and downloaded the another copy straight from the site and it worked perfectly.

11. Egaladeist

Thanks again ProcalX! I know you suggested that before and i'll do that right now...but i still don't understand how a problem can be so isolated to one forum...you would think that if there's a problem with Mozilla or Java that it would affect every place you went and not just one isolated place! It just doesn't make sense to me that everything works fine there but not here! The natural conclusion would be...if the problem only exists here...then the problem must be here or be associated with this forum or my access to it! smilely

nope!...still the same...everytime i click on a smilely, my computer, reputation points, bold, etc...it returns me to the top of the page!

12. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Again, you will need to check your Java Console for recent errors..

and I assume you have installed the latest version of java?

13. Egaladeist

Hi, ProcalX! Downloaded right off the site you linked to...still the same type of errors mentioned and still all hardware forums...I posted at another site three times to check and no problems and no errors...they are all here! confused? could i be missing something from this forum...like...do these functions require cookies...and could i be missing one?

14. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Always a possibility, breifly allow all cookies before you login onto the forums, then see if it works with all cookies enabled.

If it works you can work from there, if not then you can move onto something else.

Deduction my dear watson..

15. Egaladeist

well...strike two...came to the forums twice with cookies enabled and still the same! Reinstalled Firefox 1.0, installed sun java, enabled cookies, the only thing I can think of is...and the only thing I've done differently is un-installing WinZip...like I mentioned before...but if that's the problem then it would affect every other forum and not just this one...that's what I don't get...it's just this forum that's affected...AVG says I have no viruses...I recently ran another scan using the AdWare you said I should download( when you provided those three links in another thread )and had only 2 of which only 1 was refered to as a problem and it was deleted...but regardless of all this it still comes back to the same question...why would "only this forum" be affected? smilely!

maybe it's administrative...and hopefully Sniper will stumble accross this thread and figure it out...i don't know?

I'd give you another RP if I could ProcalX...but I can't access it!

16. Egaladeist

Problem Solved!!! Everything working fine now...not sure what happened...if I fixed it or maybe Sniper at his end...but...if I did it...then I guess I should say how in case it happens to someone else...

I cleared out the six or seven cookies that slipped in that didn't look familiar...then I cleared my cache...and cleared my download manager...one of these must have worked...that is if no one else fixed it here! don't want to take credit for it if I didn't do it! :D :good: :p

17. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

I've not changed anything on the site so it was you :good:

18. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

You phat man EG! you love your cookies! ;)

19. Egaladeist

Thanks!!!!! :good: Hey...does this mean I'm not a no0b anymore?...don't answer that! hehehehe!!! :D :D :p

20. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

na ur not a noob, ur just old and geeky :good:

*Edit i think you should put this in your sig.