Smoking - Should it be banned?

Discussion in 'The War Zone' started by megamaced, Mar 17, 2006.

?

Should smoking be banned in public places?

1. Yes

66.7%
  2. No

29.6%
  3. Doesn't bother me either way

3.7%
  1. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

With the UK set to ban smoking in all public places from next year, I put the question to you - do you think smoking should be banned?

I am a smoker, so personally I am very annoyed with this ban. I feel it's one more example of our personal liberties being thrown away. Surely it should be the individual's choice whether they want to wreck their body or not? :) I know that for people who don't smoke, it smells disgusting. But there are lot's of places already that don't allow smoking, so it's not like you can't get away from it!

If the government really cared about health, surely they would remove all of the fast food restuarants? Like America, the UK is suffering from an obesity problem, but I don't see anything being done about it? Sure we've got that fresh faced Jamie Oliver pushing for better school meals, but that only goes so far.
    The introduction of 24-hour licencing hours doesn't sounld like a government interested too much in health does it? So why take such a serious stance on cigarettes?

Besides, if cigerattes were to be banned outright, that'd leave a big financial hole for the government. There is so much tax added on to a packet of fags, I don't see how they could make up the numbers without them.

So place a vote and leave an opinion :)

2. Addis

Addis The King

I agree with it, it aggrevates breathing so much when you even walk past a place where there's people smoking I can't stand it, never mind the smell it makes.

Public places should be banned, private do what you want unless there is a child there, then which you shouldn't smoke. Nothing can be done about that however.

3. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

I have to say that some of your points are a bit selfish....

First when you speak of personal liberties you are ignoring others who are standing next to you breathing in your smoke. Yes it is true, you have every right to hurt yourself, damage yourself and last time I looked, suicide was not against the law. I am an ex-smoker who was always standing down wind and never lit up in a crowded place unless it was already very smokey, like in a pub. My wife does not smoke so I never smoked in the house.

Yes smoking is a digusting, expensive habit which I am happy I kicked. But what has that got to do with fast food? When you stuff yourself with colesterol and badly made food, you are only hurting yourself. Even if I stood on top of you it will not effect me.

The goverment will never bann cigarets outright for exactly the reason you mention in the begining, personal liberties and, and, and the massive revenue from tax. The goverment is not so bothered with your health. What they are worried about is the rising public health bill some of which is inflicted on inocent people, working behind a bar for example.

I did a second job at a pub and at the end of my shift I fealt sick from the smoke. Yes it was my choice, I am just giving an example how it feels to be around smokers for a long period of time....

To end my bit, I recon it should be down to businesses, not the goverment, to decide whther they allow smoking or not. That way they will have a little sign outside the door which says, topless dancing all day.........:confused:

No, no, what I meant was "You can smoke in this establishment" etc...
    It is a bit like building roads for maniac drivers only.
    ;)

Quit man, it is never too late and not that hard. :p

4. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Which is fair enough, I can agree with that. There are some places where smoking should not be permitted - cafe's, near children, next to your uncle Bob etc. But what I am against is a TOTAL ban in public places.
    A pub should be somewhere you can relax and wind down after a hand days graft! I don't smoke at the bar, because that's unfair on the poor staff that work there. But I don't see the harm if I am sitting at a table at the back somewhere!

I wanted to use fast food as an example of something else which is harmful, yet has far less restrictions.

I don't agree with smoking at the bar side. I think we should be allowed our corners though :)

Hehe
    I totally agree with that paragraph. It should be up to the proprietor or landlord of the house to make up their mind.

At this stage in my life, no I don't want to give up. What with exams, and mind numbing nine-to-five work, a few cigarettes help me through! Maybe at a later stage, giving up may be viable..

5. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

I think it should be banned totally and completely. It's not just the first hand smoke, but the second hand smoke that fucks people up too. It smells disgusting when people walk by after they've just lit one. Also, why do people think they're cool by smoking?

6. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I'd prefer if people wouldn't smoke for reasons we've all heard before but I can't see it ever being banned. I think we all know what happened when the US government pushed the prohibition movement... people will always find a way, it's just human nature. If you have an addiction of any sort banning smoking is going to make for some very hurting people regardless of how fair it is to others.

7. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

My answer in one word, No.
    I'm a smoker too. I love my ciggies and couldn't live without them ATM.
    Should it be banned in public areas? No. That's why it's public.
    Should it be banned in pubs, clubs, shopping centres? Don't really care.
    Is it going to stop me from smoking in a public place if i'm told to? Hell no.

8. Sheephead

Sheephead Geek Trainee

I think it should definatly be banned, smolkers have no consideration for other people when then are smoking near us, so i have no consideration for them and i want a ban for smoking !!!

9. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Yes it should be banned. Ive seen family members who smoke and passive smokers die due to it. It an awful smell, and you get those awful yellowy fingers. I actually dont think it should be up to establishments wether they tolerate smokers because I think with some inconsideration they will think more about their revenue than the healthiness of staff and non smokers and so will allow smoking. You smoking affects everyone if you wanna kill yourself slowly cut into your heart with a plastic knife. At least that way you don't endanger anyone around you.

10. Someone28624

Someone28624 Big Geek

I have asthma. I take three medications everyday to control it, however, there is nothing like someone smoking near me to throw me into a full blow, should-I-go-to-the-er-this-time attack. So yes, maybe I am selfish, but I feel it should be banned. It's not just yourself it harms, second hand smoke is dangerous.

Sorry, but my right to breath overrides your right to destroy your body in my opinion (they call this the war zone for a reason, right?).

11. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Here's the thing: there aren't any real figures on secondhand smoke. They run these commercials stating spending x hours in a smoking room is like smoking a pack, or whatever.

I don't smoke, but I think the government should not tell people not to smoke in public. A lot of businesses do pretty well with smokers, and I think they'd rather build a closed-off smoking section rather than loose all their smokers.
    I feel that this is something that should be left up to the businesses if they want to do this, not the government. It's not the government's business to do this.

I also have a fear of the anti-smoking gestappo pushing it further to say you can't smoke in your own home. Give someone an inch and they'll take a mile.
    It's okay to go after smokers and take away their rights by presenting dubious information is wrong. Show me something concrete, not BS propaganda.
    While I've dealt with asthma myself, if it's possible to not be around smoke, I won't.

If the government has to get involved, at least allow establishments to build a separate smoking area.

Oh, and I don't smoke. If people want to smoke, that's fine. If there's a smoky place and I don't care for it, guess what? I can go somewhere else. Having the government step in everytime someone inconviences you is a very bad precedent to set.
    I don't think smoking is healthy, but neither is my eating McDonalds all the time either. Shall we also ban everything that might harm people?

12. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

If I don't like people smoking, I can go somewhere else.

13. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Yes you can but shoudl you have to? Its their habit why don't they move

14. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

In a public place why sohuld you have to? Why should you have to move because of someone else's bad habits.

Smoking in public should be banned IMO. I think it should be allowed in cartain private areas where there are signs telling people that it's a smoking bar or club etc - but that'll be something that the bar should have to apply for as it should be banned everywhere first.

The worst thing I hate is when you're outside somewhere waiting (not necessarily a Bar/Pub/Club could be anwhere, any time of day) and someone lights up next to you and blows their smoke in your face, it's bloody disgusting and makes me feel sick.

One example was I was at a bus stop and a lady sat down and lit up, she then turned to her friend whilst holding her ciggarette away from their conversation and she held it over me, she then turned, took a drag and blew it in my face, I asked her not to but she simply replied
    "You're young, you can handle it besides I wouldn't want to have the smoke near our conversation."
    To which I replied
    "I may be young but I'm asthmatic (sp? - I hate that word) and don't want an inconciderate person like you blowing cigarette smoke in my face. Why should I have to have smoke near me because you don't want it near yourself, IT'S YOUR SMOKE." - (I was having a bad day that day and didn't need that)
    She looked at me and just carried on, so I moved away as I didn't want to cause a massive scene by shouting at her.

The point is why should I have to move away because some selfish person/people want(s) to smoke, they should move away as they're the ones smoking and causing the damage. If people want to smoke fine, just don't think that because you smoke it's alright to smoke anywhere you want as other people may not want you smoking there.

</rant> :mad:

15. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

What about the rights of an establishment to allow smoking or not? While it's not their home, the business owners are the ones paying the taxes, the rent, supplies, etc. It's the same situation if the government tells you you can't smoke in your home. You're paying for the rent/mortgage, utilities, etc. not the government. Secondly, there isn't a moral issue with smoking. If it's a government building, they own that property, and therefore can say "You cannot smoke on government property." Them telling people, you can't smoke (fill in the blank), is like me telling people: You can't drive a Ford, because I don't like Fords, and because the Pinto blows up if you ram it from behind. These are all true, but that should not interfere with you driving a Ford if you want to.

Third, personal responsiblity: while not every situation in life allows this, unless you're phsyically incapable of moving by yourself and are alone, you can move/choose not to visit an establishment.

16. Addis

Addis The King

This wouldn't be a problemif people didn't smoke. Relieve stress at the bus stop with a quick Tai Chi exercise, friendlier to the environment too.

17. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Again, if it's government property, I don't have a problem with them saying that. The other exception would be if it's public transportation, where people really couldn't move away.

Still, just because you don't like something is no reason to ban it. It's a bad policy, and quite frankly, dangerous to think in those terms.

18. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Liking has nothing to do with this.
    Secondary smoking kills, it's a fact!

19. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

So do car wrecks.
    So do trains.
    So does bleach.

There's lots of stuff that can kill you, so should we ban those too?

20. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Nothing to do with the argument.
    And yes, I strongly beleive that people convicted for driving dangrously should be banned, for good not just for a few months.

Again trains were put there for the benefit of the many and the trains owners.
    The fact that they male function or people misuse them has nothing to do with this agumnet. Me going on a train does not effect your health.

Yes I beleive bleach should be either banned or used under much more careful guidelines.

What you forgot was many other things which can kill but were developed or invented to help us all. Smoking in confined public spaces is a complete direguard for others health. The bann is not on smoking in general and does not justify the complete paranoia generated normaly by smokers who get tight chest from the fear that they might not be able to have a smoke in the bar. Obviously I do not aim this at you as I really do not know you so I cannot tell whether you are a smoker or not..... Take it outside if you want or go to a smoking bar.... that's all I am saying.