Smoking - Should it be banned?

Discussion in 'The War Zone' started by megamaced, Mar 17, 2006.

?

Should smoking be banned in public places?

1. Yes

66.7%
  2. No

29.6%
  3. Doesn't bother me either way

3.7%
  1. Someone28624

Someone28624 Big Geek

Car wrecks, trains, and bleach all have benefitial uses and are usually safe. They can all be used responsibly

Smoking has no benefitial use and is never safe.

2. beretta9m2f

beretta9m2f Karate-Chop Action Gabe

They smell, they are harmful, ban 'em. No one had a problem when ephedra or pro hormones were banned, they didn't cause anyone else harm except the people using them, so why is it that we care about cigarettes now? In fact, if used properly ephedra was a KICK ASS fat burner. Pro-hormones were not something i'd use b/c i never needed help putting on mass or srength, but I used ephedra and when it was banned. i had to say "oh shit that sucks...." why can't smokers bite the bullet like small time weight lifters did? And ephedra took way fewer deaths than cigarettes to be totally banned, not just in competitive sports. its straight up banned. So did pro hormones and pro steroids like Methyl 1-Test and Andro- and i don't remember people dying from those supplements, FDA says no and that means no. But for some reason people make a big stink about cigarettes being banned. If you really need to smoke do it at home. I really felt i needed my ephedra, but i can't do that at home, or anywhere else. So, now i say, "who needs abs? not me!" i'm not about to give up pizza just yet, i'm in college after all.....

3. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

no benefitial use?
    ahuh :p

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Ephedra was not known to be harmful for as long. Cigarettes have had volumes of literature published saying they are harmful. People do know that there are health risks (or are ignorant).

Again, why does the government have control over public areas that they do not own and that people can choose not to go to?

5. shutton54321

shutton54321 Geek Trainee

well!! it has been inforced in ireland for a year and alot of bars have closed down and with scotland following suit it will no doubt have to close down some bars, so is teh smoking ban a good thing well.........

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

That's why it should be left to the businesses to decide. It's not the government's job to ban everything that might be harmful.

7. shutton54321

shutton54321 Geek Trainee

but if business is doing better without a smoking ban then would companies enforce it?? and although i dont smoke i think that the smoking ban souldnt be inforced, i mean we dont live in a communist country well.....

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Legally, they have to, but I'm sure smoking will happen in public. Think about it: just because cocaine is illegal hasn't stopped people from using it.

9. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

I think we've hit the nail on the head. It should be up to the owner of the establishment to decide whether smoking be allowed or not. There are plenty of places that do not allow smoking already, so it's not like non-smokers can't get away from it.

The ban causes more problems then it solves. As already mentioned, businesses (especially freehouses) are suffering.

Sports are suffering from a loss of advertising income due to the ban. Yet drinks companies are still allowed to sponsor. Is it a good idea to allow a drinks company to sponsor Formula 1? Are we promoting drink driving? :D

The government will suffer too. What about all that income they get through taxes on a packet of cigarettes? How are they going to fill the hole? They will look at other ways for making more money, like raising taxes elsewhere. And that will hurt everybody!

10. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Your Answer
    It helps him in getting good marks and an ability to work for 8 hrs shift.

In NZ as well, this talk is going on of banning on Ciggrettes. I personally do not smoke but I know the feelings of others how they feel if they dont get cigrette. I have seen my friends, they are happy with smoke instead of food. If they have $10 in their pocket and they know they didnt had anything from morning they still go for smoke.

Suppose, You own a factory which produces Cigrettes and you are earning huge profits from it. What will you do? Strike against govt. isnt it? Coz u dont want to loose your business.
    But at this time you guys are thinking about yourself not other aspects of banning ciggrettes. I used to work at STAR MART in NZ and I have sold $1000 of ciggrettes in one night.

I am agree with the Big B that govt has to make some areas for smokers only. Like pubs and bars for drinking only~!

Shouldnt be banned....... its like happy happy (both parties) resolution.

11. megamaced

hehe, I've been there, I know the feeling! :D

Why did you vote for yes then? :confused:

12. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I won't deny that cigarettes, and other forms of tobacco are not healthy. I really wouldn't encourage people to start either. However, neither is fast food, yet we have no calls to ban McDonalds or Burger King. You know what else is comparable between fast food and cigarettes? Data on it being unhealthy. If it's a vice, I don't see an issue with it being taxed, nor do I see an issue with high taxes on liquor.

13. Karanislove

Read the question properly...it says in public areas......

No, it isnt healthy. It gives you istant energy and kills you slowly....

Fast food doesnt kill you and is not addictive. It gives you fat but doesnt kill you slowly. You can reduce your fats with exercise. But in case of ciggrettes if you suffer from Lung cancer or something.....it means your days are short~!
    You cannot deny these problems by saying that one day every body has to die or you?

14. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Fast food does kill you a great enough quantity, as will anything.

It is addictive in the same way anything can be addicitve.

It does kill you slowly if it's all you ate...however with a balanced diet and exercise, you can indulge occasionally.

Unless you eat such a vast quantity you can no long move and need a triple heart bypass.

Yes, cigarettes/beer/burgers/all good things are bad for you, but in moderation, no problems.

End of the day, it's the smokers choice and we should respect that, but in places like resturants, where the majority of the public do not want ashes in their tomato soup, it should be flogged with the banning cat-o-nine-tails.

15. Karanislove

Can u tell me what is good amount of ciggrettes that a person can smoke everyday and will not harm.

16. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Never said it was healthy.

If you make it a large part of your diet, which people do, it will add fat into your arteries, and over time will block them off, causing a heart attack or stroke, which while not always fatal do stand a good chance of being, and at the very least, can easily cripple somone.
    Similarly, smoking will take a long time to build up in your system and kill you.

Similarly, eating fatty foods commonly found in fast food can kill your libido. Without getting too graphic hear, bad fatty foods restrict the blood flow. If you understand sex, blood flow is key to certain areas of the body. While smoking does not directly hit the blood stream, it does, over time decrease lung capacity, which can make strenuous activities harder to do.

Similarly, let's bring in sugary candy. Again, over time this can be fatal taken in excess. This can add to your weight, and in some cases, enough sugar consumption can lead to diabetes, which requires strict regulation over your blood sugar levels. If blood sugar levels are not kept in check, you can go into a coma, which could lead to death. Diabetic women have the extreme possibility of going blind while pregnant, or there after. Additionally, diabetics do have a much harder time keeping their weight under control. I know a few diabetics (one has been since 1st grade), and while they used to be thin, due to diabetes, they're certainly on the larger side of humanity. And this leads to issues with being overweight. And let's not forget about tooth decay and the fun dental trips that can bring...

Have you considered that while, yes, some things are more addicting than others, anything can be an addiction?
    Do you understand that there's been no research that has emperical evidence stating the exposure time and tobacco smoke saturation from second-hand smoke showing a tangible link between it and cancer?

Have you thought about chewing tobacco? It's not smoked, but does it not have unfavorable results to ones health?

Bars, restaurants, etc. are considered public places as a general term, yet the government does not pay the rent, taxes, etc. on these places. In some atmospheres, smoking is part of the environment, and as already mentioned, the lack of can, at the very least, be indirectly linked to the demise of some businesses.

17. Karanislove

Phew! Dear Big B, there are so many things in this world which isnt good to eat and we cannot come to result if we bring more and more things in this debate. Before it was Cigrettes then junk food now tobacco...

You are right but what I am trying to say in this is you can limit your junk food and you will not fall sick if you do not eat it but in case of smoking you cannot limit it because even a single ciggrette a day will harm you and if you donot get smoke then you will fall sick.

18. megamaced

And we are trying to make a point. Alcohol and fast food are bad for you. So should we ban them? No, of course we shouldn't! It should be up to the individual to decide whether it's right for them or not, not for the government to decide!

And that's from your perspective. There are lot's of people who can't limit their intake of fast food. Expert nutritionists suggest no more then one MacDonald's meal a month. And there are tons of people who eat Maccy D's twice a week (no pun intended)! Personally I hate fast food, but that doesn't mean I want it banned!

19. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

The difference here is someone eating a BIg Mac next to you doesn't affect you, someone smoking next to you does and why should the non-smoker have to move because the smoker decides to light up next to them.

20. Karanislove

Agreed, but should be done in some specific places. Shouldnt harm others~!

I had these burgers for more then six months, 3 times a day and left immediately. I didnt feel anything like addictive in it. The only problem I was facing that I started disliking them coz of intaking such a quantity. Reason: I had no other choice to eat~!.