[solved Elsewhere] Nas Motherboard Help

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by MattWeiler, Nov 2, 2016.

1. MattWeiler

MattWeiler Geek Trainee

I'm planning to build a NAS sometime this calendar year and I'm stuck on the motherboard.
    I'm pretty set on the rest of my build, I just need a decent motherboard suggestion.

Needs:
    • Micro ATX or Mini ITX
    • support for ECC memory
    • at least 8 SATA ports (the more the better but I can be flexible on this)
    • at least 1 PCI Express 2.0+ x4, x8 or x16 slot (the more the better)
    • hardware RAID not needed
    • embedded CPU a plus, but not a need
    • on-board graphics (I don't want a discrete graphics card)

I had a motherboard picked-out, but after reading the reviews on several sites, it sounds like that model consistently fails after 18-24 months; that's just not good enough.
    The motherboard that I had picked so far was the ASRock C2550D4I Mini ITX Atom C2550 Motherboard.
    This motherboard just seemed too-good-to-be-true and I guess it was.

Notes:
    • I'm ok with having to add a PCI-E card to expand that SATA port count if necessar
    • I don't care about RAID as I'll be using Windows Storage Spaces to allocate my files over my drives. I'll be setting up the equivalent of a mirrored RAID to get 16TB of effective storage.
    • My motherboard doesn't have to have an embedded processor, but that would be nice.
    • Passive cooling of the processor is ok too, as long as it's an ATOM or something, as my case will have great airflow.
    • This NAS won't be doing any heavy lifting, just serving files. I have a HTPC that plays my content and a gaming/development PC that does my encoding and whatever else.

PC Part Picker List:
    I've put together a PC Part Picker part-list that has the above mentioned motherboard in it, but I plan on replacing it with a better suggestion.
    http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/hDwjWX

If you don't want to view the list on pcpartpicker.com, then here's the component list:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016