SONY VAIO Shutting Down

Discussion in 'Mobile Technology' started by Ripper, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Ripper

Ripper Geek Trainee

I think I am out of my league gents. This Memtest is a bit confusing for me. Anything else you can suggest?

2. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

3. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Once again, I will ask you to paste your events from event viewer here and tell us if this thing happened after you install something in your computer. The more u tell us will make our work easier.

4. Ripper

Ripper Geek Trainee

I will do some poking around here and see what I can find out. Do you think it may be a bad power supply.

5. Ripper

Ripper Geek Trainee

I have not installed anything yet Karanislove, just running Motherboard Monitor. I am trying to uderstand Memtest but it is a bit over my head.

6. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Well I was referring to the PSU as I thought it was a Desktop, after finding out it's a laptop it's less likely.

7. Karanislove

A memory test will take so many hours to complete. Best time to this test is overnight, when you dont want any work to do on your Laptop. Please let me know what your event viewer says. What kind of error are in there.

8. Ripper

Ripper Geek Trainee

Yes a laptop, any specs you need say the word and I will give you what you need :)

9. Ripper

Ripper Geek Trainee

I was not able to get memtest loaded in.

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

If you run Memtest for 8 hours (ie. overnight) and it's not rebooting or giving you errors, it's time to look elsewhere. There's a timer that will show how long it's been running. If it's running overnight without rebooting...heck, even run it 24 hours if possible. Since Memtest doesn't run under any OS, it can help narrow down if this is a hardware problem or not.

11. Karanislove

Copy the memtest into a floppy drive. Set your first boot device to floppy from BIOS. Restart your computer

12. Ripper

Ripper Geek Trainee

Getting Memtest is the problem, I can't seem to get it loaded in properly.

13. Ripper

Ripper Geek Trainee

I tired to put it on the desktop, them I opened the exe. file and it ran this stuff it thing. Forgive my ignorance here :-(

14. Karanislove

It doesnt run under windows. You have to copy the file in a Floppy or a CD. Set your boot devices accordingly.
    To change the boot device..
    Power on your computer and press the delete or f2(Its written on the screen when you switch on your PC) button immediately. It will take you to the BIOS. Every computer has a different type of BIOS appearence. You have to fiddle around and find the Boot Devices. There set the first boot to floppy(if file is in floppy) or CD(if its in CD). Save and exit.
    Insert your floppy/Cd into your computer immediately. Things will start automatically.
    Hope it helps

15. Ripper

Ripper Geek Trainee

Most certianly, I will try this when I have the time to fiddle with it. Thank you sir.

16. Karanislove

Let us know if you stuck somewhere.

17. Ripper

Ripper Geek Trainee

I certianly will.

18. thicko steve

thicko steve Geek Trainee

can i just say i had a sony laptop with this problem turned out to be a blaster worm pc shop sorten it out had to down load a patch great after ....steve