Sound Card Help

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by Andy88, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Andy88

Andy88 Geek Trainee

Hi, I need to install my sound card but I don’t have a clue what it is. I'm on Win98.
    I can’t find my disk, which I think, has it. I have opened up the PC to look for its manufacture details but had no luck.
    Sounds dumb but, is there any way I can install it without knowing what it is? :confused:
    I've tried Win update - that didnt help.
    Please if you reply explain in detail what I need to do as I’m not very good with PC’s.

Many thanks.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Without knowing what the card is, it's going to be really tough with the info given. Is this a pre-built system from the likes of Compaq/HP, Dell, or other big name? If so which one. It should say somewhere on the tower.

If it's some local shop machine (and even if it's not, this info could really help), is the sound card an actual card, or is it part of the motherboard? If it's an expansion card (which will fit into an ISA---a long black slot, or PCI---a shorter white slot), take it out (with the computer off) and look at the main chip on the card. Post the info on the chip and we can make some headway.

3. Andy88

Andy88 Geek Trainee

It's built by a local shop, no big name.
    I have a feeling its a Creative card although I’m unsure.
    What you suggested about taking card out etc. could be really helpful but, I don’t have much knowledge about PC's and I don’t really want to be messing about with its insides. When I opened it up earlier I was just looking but, couldn’t find anything.
    EDIT: I also think the card is part of the motherboard , not sure though.

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Okay, are the speaker jacks grouped like this?

Or is it coming from a card in a white slot?

5. Andy88

Andy88 Geek Trainee

Like that, on my PC the jacks are horizontal and have a joypad port mounted on the side.

6. Andy88

Andy88 Geek Trainee

I was told to get this: Everest, I went through a few functions in there and found this... PCI Devices. Is that any help?

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

http://www.ali.com.tw/eng/support/drivers.php

I could be wrong, but it looks like you've got the basic AC97 audio integrated into the southbridge chip (one of two major controller chips on a motherboard). I'm not able to directly link you the driver, but what you want is the following:

Product Category: M1535D
    Opterating System: Windows 98SE (they don't seem to have a Win98 category, but the 98SE drivers should work fine).

8. Andy88

Andy88 Geek Trainee

Thanks, i'm downloading the first file now, will the other be needed aswell?

M1535D Drivers for Windows 98SE
    Integrated Driver Language Version Primary Mirror
    All 2.07 Click for Download Click for Download

FIR Driver Language Version Primary Mirror
    English 1.141 Click for Download Click for Download
    Multi-Language 1.141 Click for Download Click for Download

IDE Driver Language Version Primary Mirror
    All 1.05 Click for Download Click for Download

9. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I'm not sure. I'm not sure about ALi's driver setup, but I would just start off with the first one and see how that goes. It would be rather pointless to download the others if the first one has everything included.

10. Andy88

Andy88 Geek Trainee

First files didnt work, going to try the others now.

11. Andy88

Andy88 Geek Trainee