Speakers not working!

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by nickf1227, Nov 6, 2005.

1. nickf1227

nickf1227 Guest

On my parents computer, their speakers are hooked up (tested several speakers), their sound driver is installed and working and the computer is dtectiong speakers, but it is NOT wokring. I am in the proccess of virus scanning but i dont think its a virus. Any suggestions? Is the onboard realtek ac'97 codec burned out? It just reacently stoped working fyi.

edit sorry for the double post!

2. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Yeah if the other speakers don't work and the drivers are installed then maybe yes, you can pick up a cheap PCI sound card though, where abouts are you so we can find the place to buy for you...

3. nickf1227

nickf1227 Guest

I think i'll just buy one off newegg. Thank you for your fast responce!

4. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

's alright!
    Yeah if you're not looking for the greatest sound quality then a cheap PCI one will be fine.

5. nickf1227

nickf1227 Guest

I think i might even go for a Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music, since all my dad does is blast his music as loud as it goes I think it might be good for him, because of the quality. He has a 2.1 harman/kardon system, not sure on the wattage. Is there a big improvement? like i said my dad BLASTS the music.

6. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Well if you play music loud then you'll want a good quality card, while it may not actually amplify the sound the better the sound quality in the first place the better the sound quality from the speakers (to a certain extent)
    If the sound coming from the computers isn't all that good and is them amplified then the crackles/bad parts of the sound will be amplified (and more will be added as it is amplified more, it's what happens with sound) but if the sound coming rfom the computer is crystal clear and near 'perfect' (I don't think there will ever be perfect sound) then when it's amplified then the overall sound will be better as crackles/bad parts wont be there to amplify.
    I hope that makes sense, it's hard to explain it in words.

7. nickf1227

nickf1227 Guest

8. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

Sounds like the onboard sound might just be fried, as long as you're plugging the speakers into the right port on the motherboard :p
    I have an Audigy 2 and I love it. It's always worked for me flawlessly.

9. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Yeah I have an Audigy 2 as well, awesome card!

10. nickf1227

nickf1227 Guest

Ok I think that will be my purchase then, thanks!

11. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

No prob, it's what we're here for ^^

12. nickf1227

nickf1227 Guest

Yeah its nice to post on these hardware forums everyone is always helpfull :D

13. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Before you spend money on a new card, have you tried downloading the audio drivers from your motherboard manufacturer and reinstalling them? Sometimes Windows updates the AC97 drivers with generic ones effectively breaking your sound. Always try the obvious things before you move to the drastic ones.

14. nickf1227

nickf1227 Guest

Yes, I downloaded the drivers from HP, and the ones from realtek.