Stalled out on Video Card and PSU... need help. I5-3570k\Z77 Extreme4

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by NickStar, Oct 20, 2012.

1. NickStar

NickStar Geek Trainee

Ok so here is what i have so far
    CPU = I5-3570K
    Noctua NT-H1 Thermal Compound
    CPU Fan = XIGMATEK Gaia SD1283 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler (Free)
    MB = ASROCK Z77 Extreme4 (ATX)
    HDD = 3TB WD Green 64\6g SATA (I think i read the Z77 Pub; the bios supports this as Boot drive)
    MEM = Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) (Free)

So im looking at the EVGA 650Ti SSC 2G and the free Assassin's Creed 3

i was looking at a Corsair TX 650 watts but was advised that the PSU couldnt handle the 650ti
    Also a XFX 750

does it really need that much power!?
    im also looking at a 7770 or a 7870 or a 660 video card but now im getting all confused I think I've read one to many articles...
    Ideas, Thoughts, Bottle knecks?! help me!!! :eek:

2. zsde

zsde Geek Trainee

A typical system with a 650TI needs around 20A under load on the 12V rail. That 650TX has 52A on the 12V rail.
    You have more than sufficient power. I am running a GTX580 Xtream and an overclocked 3770K to 4,5GHz with the same PSU and my full load measured power consumption peaks at around 420Watt.
    You are safe, that GTX580 needs a heck of a lot more power, probably not much less than 2 650s in SLI.
    The rest looks fine. Good luck with the 3TB setup as a boot drive. My personal choice would have been a small boot drive and a 2 or 3TB data drive.

3. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

You might want to watch that Motherboard, Asrock seems to Blow real easy..

4. zsde

zsde Geek Trainee

And you have statistics on that for the Extreme series MBs from Asrock?
    All boards are able to blow up. Just add enough OC and voltages without consideration or care.
    Yes, pay double or triple the amount for another board, and you may have the ability to go real extreme and even those can blow.

5. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Does Building over 300 computers work for you ....I have 7 Asrock Motherboards here, along with all of the Rest and Yes they are made the Cheapest..Them and Foxconn..
    I would stay away from..But this is just a heads up..