strange error messages

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by KenshinX, May 10, 2006.

1. KenshinX

KenshinX Big Geek

Well, I finally got around to try installing Mandrake 10.1 on my new system and on the first try after finally finding my discs is No cdrom found when setup is about to begin. The DVD ROM and CD-RW drive both work and are pluged in ide and power cable and the jumpers are set the DVD is master.
    But when insert the Mandrake disc one it goes to the blue graphical screen that say press ENTER for installation and F something for options I Press enter and it starts up in the black screen.

First, it says Detecting USB devices goes through that then it says no CDROM Drive found...how can that be possible if its reading the CD? then i press enter for OK nd then it says no floppy detected which is fine because I don't have one and is disabled in the BIOS. Then I press enter for OK for that the it gives me this list for actions to search for under SCSI none of which I understand.

I am a basic linux user I know close to 0% please help me. P.S. ive heard that the TForce series has trouble with linux but i ve read threads from other forums of use of linux on a Tforce box could this be the problem.

Thanks in advance, Kenshin

2. Addis

Addis The King

I'd try a newer distro, like Mandriva 2006 or SuSE 10.

3. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Perhaps your Optical drive needs SCSI emulation to work under Linux.

It is normally possible to specify special boot options. Instead of pressing Enter, press 'F Something' to bring up the boot paramators list. Look for SCSI emulation

4. KenshinX

KenshinX Big Geek

I mean on my old system I had the sam exact DVD rom drive and worked find infact that was my only optical drive. The CDRW drive is new though so that might be it, its a Sony but it set as the slave anyway, Im downloadind mandriva 2006 .( this is gonna take a while) BTW I just finish downloading slax kill bill edition think thatll work?

5. megamaced

I thought you might, judging by your avatar ;)

Yeah, I don't see why not. After all, if you are going to use it on your USB drive then it doesn't really matter whether your DVD-ROM gets detected or not :D You can't install Slax though, so it's only for 'live' purposes only :(

6. KenshinX

KenshinX Big Geek

i was gonna do cd iso my jumpdrive id in use lol plus its only 256mb anyway

7. megamaced

Well it will work on a CD too. I don't see any harm in giving it a go. At least you will get a working Linux system while you wait for Mandriva to download!