strange problem with HDD

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by RHochstenbach, Jan 12, 2007.

1. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

I've bought a Maxtor HDD of 80 GB. I used it on an Asrock motherboard. But that mainboard was malfunctioning. So I attached it to an ASUS motherboard. But Windows can only see 30 GB on that harddisk. Even the BIOS states that this harddrive is only 30 GB in size. I tried several partition programs. They didn't helped me, because they all say that the whole drive is only 30 GB in size. I also made several disk scans, but they all say that the drive hasn't got any errors. It happened from the moment that I connected the HDD to another motherboard.

2. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Check the jumpers on the Driver, i remember seeing on quite a number of drives a jumper configuration that Limits the drive capacity to 30Gb or something similar, is this drive the master and the CD rom the Slave, if it is, look at the Jumper configs carefully, i belive the jumper is on the wrong pins.

3. RHochstenbach

Well the drive had the full 80 gb capacity when it was connected to the previous motherboard. I haven't changed any jumpers on the hard drive when I connected it to the new motherboard. I also ran a scanning program from maxtor. It said that it didn't found any errors on the drive, and that all jumpers where connected on the correct way.
    EDIT: Could it be possible that the mainboard itself has a drive capacity limit? (ASUS P4S800-MX)

4. Willz

I am not sure, try to see if there is a bios update for your motherboard.

5. RHochstenbach

okay, i will look for an update on the asus website.

6. RHochstenbach

I've updated the bios, but with no success. The size of the hard drive is still 33 GB. Here is a screenshot of an IDE diagnostics program about this harddrive:

Attached Files:

7. Willz

How long have you had this HDD for? have you actually touched the jumpers on it at all or even looked at them?

8. RHochstenbach

This HDD is about 1 month old. I've set the jumper to master (according to the image on the sticker of the HDD) on the old motherboard. After I connected it to the new motherboard (without touching the jumpers anymore), the disc was suddely 33 GB in size (and not 80 GB anymore).
    EDIT: The product specification states that there are only 3 jumper options possible: master, slave and cable select. So there is no limit setting.

9. Willz

So with the old Mobo it was 80Gb? sounds like something is configured wrong in the Bios then.

10. RHochstenbach

There are no options in the bios to configure the HDD. At the HDD information, it says size 33 GB. I've also tried to use the options Restore defaults and Load optimal defaults. But none of them work. Different HDD scanners all say that nothing is wrong with the drive, so it can't be damaged. Very strange :(

11. Willz

Hmmm, unusual problem, i am all out of ideas, sorry :(, someone else should have a solution though :)

12. RHochstenbach

ok, thanks anyway. That harddisk was a component on a pc that i built for my grandparents. the HDD works, but not with the full capacity. but it'll do.;)

13. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

What does the bios detect the drive as?

14. RHochstenbach

It detects it as a Maxtor HDD of 33 GB. It is connected as the Primary master. (btw I have another harddisk of 37 GB connected as the primary slave, and both cd drives connected to the secondary as master and slave, if that information is useful).

15. Willz

Is the 37Gb actually 37Gb, i would suggest just for testing purpose, take out the 37Gb HDD, and then just use the HDD been detected as 33Gb, and see if it works, if it does and shwos propor values, set the 33Gb to master or slave, have it on the IDE cable with the DVD Rom or whatever, then connect the 37Gb driver seperatly to the other IDE connection and set it to master, then go into Bios, and find the HDD Boost Priority, and set the 37Gb Hdd to 1 if thats the one with your OS on it.

16. RHochstenbach

I'll go to back to that pc the following week. I'll keep you all up-to-date.

17. Willz

Were is it now lol?

18. zeus

zeus out of date

Format the drive using the manufacturers tools and using ntfs.

If you initially format using fat32 it will be limited to 32gb, and the drive will always be seen as 32gb even in BIOS.... which is suspiciously close to your 30gb.

I read on the MAxtor website a while ago that the only way round it is to format using ntfs and the manufacturers tools.

The board definitely supports the drive. The only limitation you might get is the 48bit one... but that gets you stuck at 137gb...

19. Willz

His drive is limited to 33Gb. I thought Fat32 was capable of going over 30Gb?

20. zeus

zeus out of date

It is but not with Windows 2000/xp.

Besides, its stuck at 32gb before the OS even loads.