Strange Video Problem Toshiba

Discussion in 'Mobile Technology' started by davetechfreak, Jan 17, 2010.

1. davetechfreak

davetechfreak Geek Trainee

Hi all,

I am new to the forum so I hope i didn't break any rules.

I need help as I got desperate with a TOSHIBA A100-147 laptop. It has Windows XP MCE installed on it and the Video Card is Intel 945. The video memory is dedicated to the video card (doesn't share from the operating memory).

The problem: on turning the laptop the display just shrinks and i end up with dead space of the monitor on the bottom and on the right (like black lines).

I have identified that it is not the LCD as if I shut down the computer and try turning it on again it might come on normally (full screen).

The funny thing is that:
    1 - If it turns on normally, after going into windows, I would see the option for the 1280x800 resolution in the graphics properties (both windows graphics properties and intel graphics properties)
    2 - If it turns on in the wrong mode, after going into windows, the widescreen option doesn't appear at ALL!

I would appreciate any help, as I nearly ran out of ideas.
    Thanks,
    David

2. edijs

edijs Programmer

how about trying it on an external monitor? just to make sure that the LCD and/or the wiring to the LCD is not damaged.

3. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

I'm almost certain that the LCD wire is damaged (opening and closing the lid continuously could result in damaging the cable). But like Edijs said, try hooking it up to an external monitor first.

4. valamar

valamar Geek Trainee

go to Toshiba's site and get the latest video drivers for your system.