Study Shows Windows Beats Linux on Security

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by syngod, Jun 27, 2005.

1. syngod

syngod Moderator

A survey of 90 enterprises finds better total cost of ownership and fewer risks with Microsoft’s streamlined security tools.

REDMOND, Wash., June 23, 2005 – Security is one of the chief concerns of IT decision makers. Along with purchase price, interoperability, maintainability and deployment costs, security is a critical factor in determining which platform to deploy across an enterprise or to serve a particular role.

For proprietary and open source software (OSS) alike, administering security updates are a reality in the enterprise and a significant factor in total cost of ownership (TCO). In order to get an accurate picture of how costs associated with patch management figure into the TCO equation, Microsoft recently commissioned Wipro Technologies Ltd., an independent consulting firm, to study the cost of updating Microsoft and open source software in a real-world environment for desktops, servers and database servers.

Wipro surveyed 90 companies in the U.S. and Western Europe with 2,500 to 113,000 employees where both the Windows and open source operating systems were simultaneously being run. When the costs of updating are distributed across the size of the environment and evaluated on a per-asset basis, the study shows Microsoft software to be less expensive to patch than open source equivalents. These findings confirm what many customers are experiencing in their deployment scenarios.

Read the rest of the article at MS Presspass

2. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

(jaw dropped) :swear:

3. syngod

syngod Moderator

Yes i know it's an MS based article so take it how you want.

4. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

Hmm... WRONG. :) Didn't you just poste an article on how MS won't fix a known IE exploit?

Not saying I have anything against you for this article but why even poste it if it's an MS based article when there's been known bribery for these sort of things in the past?

5. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

ill sue for my heart attack

6. syngod

syngod Moderator

It's news plus it always seems as though this topic brings a bit of life to the forums for a bit :).

7. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

8. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

more like paranoia mass confusion and me staring at the computer screen blanky petrified

9. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

Or just a load of shrugs and sayings of 'shmeh'. ;)

10. Addis

Addis The King

Really?
    Code:
    while (linuxsec > windowssec)
    {
    cout << msuntruecrap(linux);
    totalmspropagandacrap++;
    }