Stumped on Connections, help?

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by Kevio, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Kevio

Kevio Geek Trainee

Alright, I have a Philips MX3700D DVD player with 5 5.1 speakers and a sub. Today i bought a Soundblaster Live! 24-bit soundcard. After installing the card and reading instructions and all that good stuff i realized I'm missing a few things to get me up and running. The instructions say i need to run a RCA cable from the "Digital In" plug on my DVD player to the Digital_IO plug on the card, i looked and there is no "Digital In" plug on my DVD player. There is however a "Digital Out" label with a Coaxial and Optical plug underneath it. Now, i know i'd need some kind of adapter but could i run a wire from the "Digital Out" Coaxial or Optical plug on my DVD player to the Digital IO plug on the card? Or do i have to get this Digital I/O Module the instructions call for? Sorry if this is a little confusing, I'm definitly new to this PC audio stuff, thanks guys.

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

so you want to run sound from your DvD player, into your soundcard and through the 5.1 speakers?

3. Fred

Fred Moderator

4. Kevio

Kevio Geek Trainee

Thanks fred, it seems like that could work. Could i just hook the red and white RCA's into, say the AUX RCA jacks in the back of the DVD player and then straight to the sound card?

5. Fred

Fred Moderator

I'm not positive, as I've never done anything like that before... But, looking at the back of my DVD player, I'm guessing that the red and white cables that would come out of the DVD player would plug into that adapter and go into your sound card. Does that seem right to you?

6. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Okay so let me get this straight, you want to get sound from your soundcard on your computer to the DVD player, shouldn't be too hard as long as you have some sort of RCA/MINI Jack input on your DVD player. I think you'll be using stereo sound as for 5.1 sound you'd need 3 separate stereo cables, one for Front Left and Right, One for Center and Subwoofer and another for Rear Left and Right.
    For stereo sound use a MINI Jack to Phono (RCA) lead (if you've got Phono inputs on the back of your DVD player) and connect the MINI (headphone) Jack into the Line out on your soundcard and then the phono into the Inputs on your DVD player, then when you want the sound make sure the DVD player is set to the right input and the sound on your computer is up and you should be good to go.