Success! But... PSU keeps running when power off?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by Wouter, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Wouter

Wouter Big Geek

Well, I installed my new PSU (Enermax NoiseTake 320W) yesterday, together with my new graphics card (XFX 6600GT 256MB). Everything is running great. As an aside: my friend who helped me install it remarked how 'decent' the PSU and its cabling looked and how little components were actually on my graphics card.

Anyhow, the 'problem' I have now, is that the PSU still makes noise after the computer powers off. Very quiet, but still enough to be heard. This wouldn't be bad if the computer wasn't in the same room I sleep in! So every time I power it off, I manually have to switch off the PSU in order to make it all silent.

My friend also turned up small circular wheel, for controlling fan speed or something. He didn't think it would do anything since I've got no fan controllers. That's one thing I can think of that might be 'off'. Or is this normal behaviour for a PSU?

2. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Some Power Supplies keep the fan running for a few minutes after the system is powered off to cool down the components inside the PSU. I'd say this is very normal unless it stays on longer.

3. Wouter

Wouter Big Geek

Hmmm... could be. I even think the manual stated something like that.

Maybe I just need to have some more patience.

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

presumably your using XP, cos it sounds as though your computers going into hibernation rather than powering off

5. Wouter

Wouter Big Geek

I am using XP. But I have only 1 computer, not computers.

Is it supposed to do this?

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I believe that Windows enables hibernation automatically depending on the computer type (i.e. ACPI compliant---which yours probably is). You can disable it by going to your power options:

Start-->Settings-->Control Panel. Open Power Options and go to the Hibernate tab. Uncheck the box enabling hibernation.

7. Wouter

Wouter Big Geek

Ah thanks, that's probably it.

8. donkey42

donkey42 plank

sorry i ment computer's

9. Wouter

Wouter Big Geek

Oh, okay. Doesn't matter, thanks for the reply.