Sudden PC death, making a diagnosis?

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by rob_hellfire, Mar 17, 2008.

1. rob_hellfire

rob_hellfire Geek Trainee

After a long period of using my pc yesterday (10hrs) i shut it down to go watch the F1. Hitting shutdown and leaving the room knowing what 'should' have happened.

Next time i've come to turn on the PC it spins up the case fans/HDD/cd-rom but no post :confused:

I've removed piece by piece all hardware from the build (not 1month old) and with just the MB with CPU and cooler and PSU it still sits doing nothing.

relevant parts
    PSU corsair 550
    MB Gigabyte Ga p35c ds3r
    CPU core duo 6750
    GFX 8600GT (cant remember producer)

Not a powerful setup to upset the PSU and no overclocking except the MB automated optimisation.

Which of the PSU,MB,CPU are to blame or how do i find out?.

Any course of action help would also be helpful as i've no idea where to go if any bits broke. Additional all parts bought in same order from dabs.co.uk

Thankyou for any help

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

First I would reset the CMOS to factory with your motherboard's reset jumper. Also check and be sure all of the tertiary power headers are connected to the motherboard, and to the video card. Afterwards, if it's still not booting I would think the best approach at this point is to test the components one at a time to see which is causing the issue. Try booting the system with one RAM stick at a time. If you can, try swapping out the video card or even the CPU. Also do a visual inspection for bad capacitors, as they can also cause the symptoms you're seeing.

3. rob_hellfire

rob_hellfire Geek Trainee

OK. i forgot to mention i'd tried the CMOS jumper.

Can new PC's boot on base memory alone because i removed both memory modules (dual channel if that matters)

This beign a new upgrade I don't have the components to switch each out myself so might be a PC shop jobbie.

Will do a visual inspection of the MB cap's for voltage regulation.

4. rimmer

rimmer Geek

no a computer will not even display without any RAM. If your internal beeper/speaker is plugged in, you will just get an angry pattern of "beeps". You must also have a CPu installed too, as again, nothing will display without these.

Your power supply is a good one, and therefore definitely more than capable of handling your setup from what I can see. (unless of course you have more than a combination of 4 hard drives and CD/DVD drives - i would think so anyway...)