Suggestions as to upgrades?

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by Exfoliate, Jun 16, 2005.

1. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

think of putting two 60 gig hard drives together for 60$ you get the performance of a raptor, but you dont notice that you could have got one for the same price

but we like being stupid like that :-p

haha, but you get more storage, only that seek times will have a struggle competing with the raptors 10k speeds

technically everything i said had little sense to it, but its funny

2. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Alright this is where I stand now. I really want that PC4000 ram I've posted over in the bargin bin but I'll also need a good mobo to use it. I like the looks of the DFI LanParty UT SLI I belive it is though the price isn't ideal. I figure if I'm going to upgrade I might as well be future concious and get SLI, sure beats AGP 8x. I also want a new monitor obviously, I've already posted and decided on that. I'll overclock my cpu with the new ram so that will last me a little while longer.
    Okay the problem is I'll need a new video card now that I'm moving to PCIe. I can't afford to buy all 4 items right off. I can get by with getting the monitor, mobo, and ram but a good video card is pushing it. So should I sell my mobo and video card to fund my new video card? I'm hoping I can get about $250 or so for both of them which will be enough to cover the cost but would you say it's worth it? If I get a new video card I want it to be really good, much better than what I have now. Though there's no real big difference I've been looking at a X800 Pro as it has much better memory options. Any thoughts on this whole matter?

3. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

I would get another 6800, keep the other one, and SLI it.

EDIT: Oh yea you have AGP, nevermind. Go for the X800 Pro.

4. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

How do things play on it for you anyway? What sort of FPS counts do you get for HL2, FarCry, and other demanding games? I obviously would like a 7800GT or whatever but I don't have that kind of cash to blow on one item. ATI's Fudo looks good but we're not supposed to see that till Septemeber! And it will no doubt be around $450 or whatever so I can't afford that, nor can I afford to wait that long.

5. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

I haven't palyed anything on the new rig beyond Solitare (stayed up until 3 AM palying that one night). But it doesn't yet have internet so no CS. And I haven't palyed FarCry because I don't have the x64 patch. Not a HL2 fan so none of that. But I may have internet soon, looks like Foxconn has an x64 wireless card :good:. Strange, Foxconn of all people. Anyways, I'll play FarCry 32 bit and let you know.

EDIT: Oooooooooh I know, I'll do that FPS test in the main menu of CS:S. I'll do that right now and get back to you.

6. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

No internet? How are you posting?:p, solitare haha!

7. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Mm, posting on a different computer. Yea, Solitare. Ok I can't run CS or HL in offline mode (hates Steam's retardedness) so I'm going to in FarCry. But I have a problem. Farcry won't start. So i'm going to try reinstalling it first then if that doesn't work I'll install the x64 patch. I think that is the problem :x:. Anyways, I'll reply when I get all that done. Oh yea, how do I get FPS readings in FarCry?

8. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

As for Steam, make sure than there is no connection available at all for offline mode and the message should pop up, alternatively you can download Steamdown and Nonsteamdown, which are supposed to let you play HL2 completely offline (no registering is necessary with these, I take it you haven't registered, that's why you can't play?). As for showing the fps count in FarCry use this: hit the ~ key and type /r_displayinfo 1 and hit enter, should display the fps. I don't know why it doesn't work, it shouldn't require the patch.

9. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

i run it offline lots of times, just click cancel and log on in offline mode

am I missing out on something here?

10. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Ok thanks for all the suggestions, I'll try those. I also took a look in the Ubisoft FAQ and it said I needed patches v. 1.3 and 1.31 to run it on x64. So I got them and I will install them soon. Also other good news; I just ordered a Foxconn wireless NIC that has XP x64 compatability. yay :good:

11. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

good luck man

12. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

****!!!!!!! FarCry still won't run. Damn this thing. I'm going to start a thread about it.

13. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

That bites, jeeze, well at least you'll get you're internet access:)

14. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

wait you downloaded all the patches right?

15. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

I have patches 1.3 and 1.31 installed. The FAQ said that was all I needed. I tried to get 1.32 but it screwed up on the download somehow. I'll try reinstalling the patches. Do you think it might be related to my X800 problems? I'm going to contact Sapphire tech support today about that.

16. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

it might be, but as I said before, the patches help tighten up compatablility with ati and nvidia cards. my 6800GT kept screwing up the shading because the game shut it down before playing.

tell me how it went after reinstalling

17. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Ok I fixed the thing with the unknown devices on the X800. It was a bug with the Catalys 5.7 driver. Rolled back to 5.4 and fixed it. But I have yet to reinstall the patches. I'll do that soon.