suggestions?

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Anime and Manga' started by stinkfing3r, May 19, 2005.

1. stinkfing3r

stinkfing3r Big Geek

im a super noob to anime. i mean SUPER NOOOB!

But i know what style im looking for and i need some title suggestions to dl and check out.

The only thing i have to base my description off of is akira. i own it and have watched it several times. I like that style anime, not the kind where they act silly and stuff and their facial features turn into little kid kinda shit. Im looking for straight shit like akira was, and the more detailed the better. I like the techie style stuff with robots and machines, lots of blood. But most importantly im looking for a gooood story line. I liked akira so again who knows what that could mean i guess :)

i know my description may suck but the only anime i ever watched was from Sci-Fi Channel Anime Week, and that was probably 10 years ago.

So Any suggestions?

ps

just got macross 1-46
    hellsing 1-13
    macross zero 1-5
    cowboy bebop 1-26 and movie.
    full metal alchemist

only have watched macross zero and full metal alchemist and although they are not what im looking for i like em ok (full metal alchemist has some of that little kid animation to it but not to bad).

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I'd start with Neon Genesis Evangelion and RahXephon. They will screw with your head, so you probably will need to watch them through a few times to get everything. Now, they do get comparisons, but if you actually watch them, I think you'll find them to stand on their own. Another excellent mecha series is Gasaraki. There's not a lot of mention of it, but it's got a real militaristic feel to it. Full Metal Panic! (yes the "!" is part of the title) is another sweet mecha show. It's got some comedic bits to it, but the emphesis is on the action. Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu is the same characters, but focuses on the high-school hijinks side of things.

Watch Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Noir for a non mecha emphasis. Check the Series Review sticky, for the full listing of everything I've reviewed so far.

Jin-Roh is an awesome movie and the art is pretty realistic.
    Martian Successor Nadesico is a mecha series that makes fun of mecha stuff and otaku (anime fans)...it's goofy, but very well written.

If you've got a strong stomach, you might check out Gantz. That's one of the most original ideas to come out ever. Very, very graphic, but it's well done.

The only series I've seen that I'd say to steer away from is Aquarian Age. I want the time spent watching that show back. There was huge potential, but the staff on it blew it.

3. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

I vote for Naruto, I've seen 130 episodes of it now without paying anything but electricity + internet.

4. Cooper

Cooper Geek Trainee

The most common mainstream anime is probably cowboy bebop.

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

True. If you like that, or even if not, Samurai Champloo is made by some of the same folks that worked on Bebop.

6. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

im still a loyal fan of rouroni kenshin...

but excel saga rules!!!!!!!

7. stinkfing3r

stinkfing3r Big Geek

im not a fan of excel saga its a little to happy looking i guess. i like that dark straight edge of akira.

i have to tell you tho i have been watching the full metal alchemist series and i love it.

keep the suggestions coming :)

watches macross zero the other day and i loved it but the last episode i dl'ed doesnt have sound :(

8. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

amen

9. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Bleach is also a pretty cool series...from what I've seen.