SuSE 8.2 Pro

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by harrack52, Jun 8, 2003.

1. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I've decided to dive in and install Linux: SuSE 8.2 Pro....with the help of my father of course.
    I've installed pretty much everything (8 gb of stuff), 90% of which I won't use but why not ?

I've encountered some weird problems thus far. First, I couldn't configure my keyboard in French Canadian (us French Canadian like to use é and à :p), and the background wasn't working properly (it wouldn't show the right image), and the right button of the mouse didn'T work. Anyway, rebooted and all of those worked.

So I started KDevelop and a new C project. It shows me some skeleton of code which I don'T want and need (any ways of how to start from a completely blank page ?)
    The thing is I can't use accolades ( { } ), so basically, I can't do anything without those symbols.
    do you know what might be wrong ?

I'm a complete noob in Linux, I barely know how to bring up the terminal, but you gotta start somewhere right ?

Anyways, I can't blame Linux for those little problems, not until I know how to use it at least as well as windows, plus you can'T blame an OS which gives all those programs for free.

Being in KDevelop is funny because it's the exact same thing as Visual Studio, the people who did that must have laughed all the way through, I know I would have ! All the way through OpenOffice also.

Now I have to configure the boot loader because I've installed XP pro on other partitions and as you know, it doesn't dual boot.

So this was just what my first experience in Linux was like.¸
    If you could tell me what is the problem with my keyboard I'd be happy.

Thanks

EDIT: I'm using KDE. Does it make a difference ?

EDIT: Actually, what don't work are the alternate characters.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

KDE is probably the most Windows-ized desktop environment of any GUI. It gets you into Linux while making it as smooth of transition as possible.
    I'm not a real Linux guru, so I can't rightly say what your problem is with the keyboard. You may have to see about trying to change the driver for it and see if it does anything for ya.