Switching Networks on Mobiles...

Discussion in 'Tablets, Phones and Music Players' started by Waffle, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

...ok I hope to be getting a new phone soonish, but the phone I think I want is on Vodafone. Trouble is I am on O2 right now, and so is the rest of my family, and to get a different network would make calls more expensive.

I heard that you can swap networks some way. I tried swapping a sim in my friends phone, but as expected, came up with "Wrong Sim Detected".

Any idea how?

Thanks.

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

in order to use your o2 sim in your friends mobile, he will need to get it unlocked, as some networks lock their phones, so only their sims can work in them! if you are with o2, as they dont lock their phones, you should be able to use any sim in the phone, T-Mobile, Orange etc etc

In order to transfer your current mobile number you will need to get in contact with o2 and get the PAC (porting authorisation code) code, which is valid for 30 days, give that to Vodafone and say you want to transfer it! it should take between 7/14 days for this to happen!

I hope this helps!

also you may wana read this

3. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

so i can get a vodafone phone, get the pac, and whack my o2 sim card with no problems.

appreciated, thanks :D

4. Sniper

sorry a bit confused! hehe

ok, you want to use your o2 sim, in a Vodfone mobile? if so you will need to get it unlocked! that will allow you to use the o2 sim in the mobile?

what mobile are you after anyway?

5. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

sorry didn't make my question too clear.

I think i'm gonna get the Sharp GX10i, which I have found in a sale for only £100, as opposed to £175, so I think it's a great phone for a great price.

Yeah, I want to put my sim card from my Nokia 3310 (boo, hiss :p) in to the GX10i.

I tried this on my friends phone and it read Wrong Sim Card.

Thanks!

6. Sniper

looks like a nice phone!

What you can do is buy the phone, and then take it to your local mobile shop, and ask them to unlock it! this will allow you to use the o2 sim in the mobile, other wise you cant use the o2 sim!

or buy a vodafone sim which would mean a new number...

Waffle likes this.
  7. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

how much d'ya reckon that'll cost? i was told about 60 quid, which doesn't sound too bad.

thanks for the help

8. Sniper

to get it unlocked you mean? should not cost more than £10, or you can do it your self, you will need a MBUS data cable and then use this site as a guide

9. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

nah i think i'll let an expert do it. lol. thanks a lot, buddy :)

10. Sniper

n/p I can upgrade the firmware on SE (Sony Ericsson)T610, and unlock it :) as well as other SE models! just need the cable and software!

its no as hard as you might think!

11. Sniper

you might wana consider remote unlocking from http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/extras/unlocking-sharp.php they send you a remote unlocking code

I hope this helps!

12. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

damn those phones are quite cheap.

and unlocked to.

appreciated, thanks!

13. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

i got meself a Sony Ericsson T630, and as luck would have it, it was on O2 anyway...but thanks for the info.

14. Sniper

n/p :) I have the T610 had it for over a year now! wanting a smartphone next!