Switching to linux, but have Q's

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by stinkfing3r, Jul 11, 2005.

1. stinkfing3r

stinkfing3r Big Geek

Ok i am getting ready to ditch ol windows for something better.

but i have some questions.

1. How hard is it to get linux up and running and use?

2. What is the best or favorite version amoungst linux users?

3. How does linux effect programs and games? is it like mac where i have to get the linux version of everything? like adobe and what not.

4. How does linux work with 64 bit chips? ( i saw topic earlier thats why i ask)

5. If i have other hd's with info on them will they be useless when i install linux on my main hd? useless meaning will i lose all my info on them?

6. Just on a personal level, what do all you linux users really think about it?

2. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

1- not very hard, linux is very complicated with tweaking but user interface is almost always friendly, id recommend ubuntu thats what I have on my old computer, and its awesome, though more people would recommend mandriva probably

2. look above

3. linux is not compatible with many programs but it can persuade them to work using programs such as WINE

4. I think linux works on both versions, not sure though

5. Linux uses FAT32 mostly i think and Windows has NTFS, i think you will lose it

6. linux is god

3. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

linux is easy to get running, setting up is challenging but you don't have to mess with anything once installed and running.

I use mandrive 2005 LE

Games run, but you need Cedega (costs money) or Wine to emulate executible files

Linux works with 64-bit fully if you get the right distribution

You can mount billions of hard drives if you'd like and completely access them but you may need to tweak the kernel if it's NTFS

I think linux is hard to start with, then again I didn't have any books or anything. I'd recommend getting a good linux book.

stinkfing3r likes this.
  4. stinkfing3r

stinkfing3r Big Geek

cool good tips. gonna look into all the stuff u all recommened right now.

i started dling the latest fedora thingy.. just to see whats its all about. think i should start with a diff one?

5. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Yeah, fedora is slow and ugly. Try Mandriva Linux if you want a full blown distro, or Kubuntu/Ubuntu for a lighter one. I like Mandriva because it is basically a spin-off of Red Hat (Fedora) that is faster, cleaner and pretty much better.

stinkfing3r likes this.
  6. stinkfing3r

stinkfing3r Big Geek

you guys are the experts :) switching download now.

7. stinkfing3r

stinkfing3r Big Geek

10.1 is latest?

im getting LE.. i586, hope that works wit 64bit

8. Fred

Fred Moderator

They will all work with 64-bit chips. For example, I am currently running Mandriva (mandrake) 2005 LE. It is not built specifically for a 64-bit processor, but it will make the best use it can out of my processor anyways. I just can't run 64-bit applications (which hardly any are out anyways). If you DO want SPECIFICALLY, a 64-bit linux environment, you can download a build of Mandrake that is meant for it. My suggestion, however, is to stick with the one you're already downloading/downloaded. I tried the 64-bit version and decided to wait a bit longer until it's more useful. I hope that helped. I think it got a bit confusing.

*edit* As for 10.1 being the latest - the absolute latest is Mandriva 2005. You're not going to lose out on too much having 10.1, but if you're looking for the absolute latest out from Mandrake/Mandriva, you are looking for Mandriva 2005.

stinkfing3r likes this.
  9. stinkfing3r

stinkfing3r Big Geek

hey fred, thx for the info thats excatly what i needed to know :) i too will wait until a solid 64bit version comes out and will stick with 2005 LE. they are both taking about the same time to dl so i just left 10.1 running to, so i guess ill have both.

anywho thx everyone for the great advice. if u have any more tips or tricks or leasons learned feel free to post them. :) thx again.

10. Addis

Addis The King

Get a good linux book, its so much easier than going alone (even though forums are usefull0. It'll also tach you a bit about compiling programs you download with gcc and the linux shell (which 0wns the windows one).

11. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

10.2 is the latest, also known as Mandriva 2005LE.

12. stinkfing3r

stinkfing3r Big Geek

im getting feedback from some other people i know that say to use gentoo, or ubuntu or something like that.

what are ya'lls feelings on these versions? or should i just stick with mandriva?

13. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

id say stick with mandriva I used it for my first linux install and found it easy enough :)Plus im a complete n00b with linux.

14. stinkfing3r

stinkfing3r Big Geek

ok great thx :) ill stick with my original plan and see what happens. im going to get a book tonight to just incase, because i had a buddy install linux and he had a rough time with it, but it was like mandrake v9.1 or something so i assume that things have gotten better since then.

quick hardware question for you linux users.. how does the new 2005 LE deal with hardware? does it recognize it? or i install drivers? or is it way more complicated than that? i know my book will explain some of this but i just want the insiders scoop :)

thx again everyone for your help and patience answering my questions thus far!

15. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

During the install it recognizes the essentials but you will need drivers for things like your gfx card.

16. Addis

Addis The King

Mandriva 2005 should be very good, I have 10.1 and thats good.
    Gentoo is for the brave, ubuntu i heard is good but mandriva is more "complete".

17. ThePenguinCometh

ThePenguinCometh There is no escape

As a general point it helps a LOT if you have the manuals for your hardware (monitor, graphics card, modem, etc.) to hand. You should also look under Windows to get the technical information you may need to get them properly set up. Configuring hardware under Linux is not rocket science but you may experience a culture shock if you are used to the point-and-click philosophy of Windows and now have to edit text files to get your hardware running properly.

Also I'm suprised no-one has suggested SuSE yet, I haven't used it myself but the recent 9.3 version got rave reviews in the Linux magazines I read. For a total noob that's probably worth a look.

18. stinkfing3r

stinkfing3r Big Geek

ok everyone.....

i am windows FREE :)

more details in a few!

19. stinkfing3r

stinkfing3r Big Geek

ok everything seems to run smooth except my sound card which i cant get a peep out of.

i own an audigy 2 value.. and im using 'emu10k1' drivers that mandriva recommends. and i get nothing.

i have turned all volumn controls up, and made sure nothing was muted.

is there a test hardware i can run? or something you all may recommend?

20. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

I don't think audigy2's have emu 10k1

EDIT:but they really do

Thanks Fred