Tactless stupidity=banned

Discussion in 'The War Zone' started by Addis, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Way to go dudes, he got what he diserved, it's one thing to expect AT to hold his hand but freaking out when you hears the truth is just childish.
    Oh I sure know how if feels to be a n00b, half my posts have been inquiries and obvious questions. Somebody's got to ask them I guess.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

That depends on the attitude. A lot of stuff is confusing, but there's some stuff, that if it's the basic knowledge for an area, you really should educate yourself on the basics. Instead of demanding step-by-step instructions, he could've asked for some good links to read.

Again, this banning would've been avoided had he not gone up and started spamming the forums. He didn't take it up with another admin, and instead made an ass out of himself by being immature in his tiff.

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I agree with what B is saying, but I want to clarify my position on their specific issue and why I reacted how I did. In my mind, there is a big difference between learning and implementing things privately VS publicly. To illustrate, ~99% of the attacks on my network are originating from hacked Windows systems and additionally are also seeking to attack other Windows/IIS systems specifically due to their security issues. The last thing we need is yet another Pwn3d IIS box spewing out spam and worms all over the Internet. So when somebody who doesn't even understand the bare basics of how a PC works, never mind how to properly configure and secure a web server and yet they want to run one publicly, I tend to be wary of such a person. My advice to them was to either learn in depth at least the basic concepts of what they would be implementing or else hire someone with more skill to set it up for them. The reason for this isn't because they could get hacked (and almost certainly would), but because the repercussions of such an event affect others more than it affects them. What I'm saying is that I'm doing my best to both help out others with technical support and be a responsible web citizen at the same time. It's sometimes a tough balance to strike, and I don't know that I have it down yet.

-AT

4. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Group hug...