Tagan 500W PSU

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by Chris1479, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Chris1479

Chris1479 Geek Trainee

Hi Hardwareforums people,

For the last few weeks there was a loud buzzing sound coming from the area of the PSU, I didn't think too much of it first but then I noticed when the buzzing would kick in and cut out - it got much much worse whenever there was a heavy graphical load on whatever game I was playing at the time - especially when there was heavy post processing taking place.

I replaced it with a new Sharkoon WPM600 600W PSU and the difference (to me) seems extraordinary, I swear fps are increased, no slow downs, incredibly 'snappy' responsiveness.

My question is: is it really possible for a new PSU to have such such effects, and equally, a PSU going bad to screw stuff up like that? Was it really worth swapping it out or am I imagining it?

My rig:

i5 2500k @ 4Ghz
    GTX 660 2Gb
    8Gb RAM
    80Gb SSD / 500Gb HD
    Old 500W Tagan PSU replaced with Sharkoon WPM600

Thanks, Chris

2. Chris1479

Chris1479 Geek Trainee

I should also mention my temps dropped from mid 30s to high-mid 20s (centigrade) too

3. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

Odd, not sure how it could have helped to increase FPS, maybe the PSU was overheating because of faulty fan which in-turn had an effect on the system. Generally its pretty risky changing anything in the PSU, always advisable to get it replaced under warranty :)

4. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Yea ! not sure on the power, but a bad PSU can slow a computer down...I have worked on all kinds of power supply problems... from just burning out to catching fire and one even blew up on me...

5. Jan Benedict

Jan Benedict Geek

You're PSU wasn't supplying the needed power to run every component of your computer to run properly..
    Have you considered Cooler Master PSUs?
    They usually very reliable..