telly not knacked

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by donkey42, Aug 9, 2009.

1. donkey42

donkey42 plank

well today i got up and turned on TV as usual and it didn't work

the sound was on but no picture except a thin line, which i presumed was a compressed version of a full screen

i thought this old CRT TV had died, as it is over 10 years old, i figured that stuff you buy never lasts long

anyway, in the meantime my dad had order me a new LCD TV which i wasn't happy about cos i just wanted a replacement CRT TV but when i looked, i couldn't find one, so i thought :swear: i'll have to have an LCD one and i begrudgingly accepted that

however, i was thinking and i figured :swear: it, if TV's dead i've nothing to lose, so i turned TV off and gave it one almighty clout and turned it back on and it worked

so there is probably a "dry joint" (bad solder connection due to a lack of flux within the solder) somewhere in the TV

so all is ok cos i know how to fix it (albeit a temp fix i presume, but it works)

Edit: so i guess my old adage is true: "if in doubt, give it a clout"

2. Brick Top

Brick Top Geek Trainee

Not bad!

My 32" CRT TV is beginning to show its age. I bought the TV in early 2004 when LCD and Plasma TVs were still in the $5-10k price point. Now, with 1080p TVs being so cheap I'm tempted to upgrade but I'm also tempted to wait another year to see how low they go.

3. donkey42

donkey42 plank

well TBH if you wait another year you'll then be looking at what is available at the time then you'll think "i'll wait while the price of plasma (or whatever) based TVs come down in price" so you wait another year generally i usually wait about 3 - 5 years after a new product starts being made, that way the manufactures have ironed out most / all of the bugs, so as LCD TV are now cheap because they want to sell them to make room for the next TV's to be released

so with that in mind i'd buy 1 now and start enjoying it

4. Brick Top

Brick Top Geek Trainee

Yeah I know, if you wait forever you'll never buy anything! My wife tells me this constantly! :D

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

a very good point, but you have to know when to bite the bullet and buy whatever, although if your current TV dies and you need another you may as well get one, instead of searching ebay for an old replacement