Text message

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by talker1106, Nov 2, 2006.

1. talker1106

talker1106 Geek Trainee

It amazing how a simple thing like text messages can revolutionize our lives in less then five years (at my count) About a month ago a read a story of a young woman being fired from her job in England via text message. But on this very day of 11/1/06 I experienced it myself. I didn’t get fired but my girlfriend broke up with me (via a text message) I'm so sad :crying:

2. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

That's how the young'ens do it these days!
    People don't believe in face to face conversations anymore.

3. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

Dumped over a text message. Hah. Tell that slut to grow up

4. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

yeah i'll agree with stimpe, even though i don't currently have a wireless phone, i am an instant message whore.

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I was with my former gf. But now, I don't text anyone, so I didn't feel the need to add that to my Verizon contract...so, I didn't.

6. zeus

zeus out of date

She might have been one of the ones from The Accident Group. They sacked 2400 people on the same day by text.

I still would have turned up that day! I binned my mobile years ago.

I remember when texts were free! They soon stopped that.

7. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

I get my work updates by text message - my boss texts me my hours for the following week and I'll text back with whether or not they're okay. If there's any problems I can text hime - it's quick and convenient. But being fired / hired by text just doesn't seem professional.

Quite honestly I don't think enough companies take advantage of text messaging - why not use text to tell an entire office about events, memos etc?

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, that depends on the company. If they're providing me with a company phone for business, that's fine. However, I don't have a text plan, and I really don't want them texting me on my dollar, unless they'd be compensating my pay.

From a company's perspective, would it be effective and have enough of a benefit for the cost of doing so. At my current employer, we have cellphones setup for in-store use. Given that I'm all over the place, this is nice to have one while I'm there. I'm not management, but I need to have a way of being contacted by 10-20 people since I'm an inventory analyst.

When they want let the employees know, they post notices by the time clocks. I have a work e-mail address, but given that my boss on paper sees me maybe 30 minutes, 1 hour tops, a week, this, and the nature of my position are nice.

9. zeus

zeus out of date

It was on the news today saying that kids can use text language in exams, though they wont be able to score full marks for the questions if they do. Text really has taken over!

10. ZeroKool

ZeroKool Geek Trainee

My college texts me to tell me not to come in if there is no lecturers or its bad wether and not to come in