The Biased

Discussion in 'The War Zone' started by Swansen, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

.... its so bad, its just so bad. Thank god that Obama treated meeting with Hugo Chavez they way he did, its just so hard to believe that people have their heads wrapped so far into propaganda that they don't take any time to question anything. Was watching David Letterman tonight, i can't believe that human being.. Seriously, i will never be able to watch public TV, or he news ever again, not at least public news, or cable news...

Obama defends greeting Hugo Chavez - Los Angeles Times

If you want to know about Hugo Chavez, watch "The War on Democracy"
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1540280432774282064&hl=en

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I believe that Obama honestly means well. Unfortunately, I think he's also naive to a fault and doesn't seem to understand that the US has enemies. I'll give him credit for his PR attempt, but this is really a bad move, IMO. Now, if he's going with the "keep friends close, but enemies closer" idea, eh, risky, but that would make sense.

His sensibilities seem to come from the same cloth as Neville Chamberlain.

3. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

Providing for the common defense in important, but we are beginning to look like an empire, we NEED more diplomatic relationships. I dunno, i wish to believe that Obama really has good intentions, but i feel he is constantly steered towards anything but what he wants, or would do, just as Bush was. That said, the odd thing about his situation is he is very centrist. Yet all the republicans yell and scream liberal without actually looking at any of his policies or anything he says or does, so then all the die hard liberals yell something back, and then all the focus is lost on what is actually going because half the country is to busy arguing over nothing.

Hugo Chavez, he is a savior to the Venezuelan people. The "left wing gorillas" which have finally gotten a good foothold are not "gorillas" and they are what the people want. Funny considering IT WAS A FASCIST STATE one in which was controlled in large by US corporate greed. SO, what happens in the US??? mass propaganda, oh he's evil, hes a communist, blah blah blah, he's stealing our money, so we need to mislead the people to convince them he is evil..... bullcrap. Something else VERY interesting, and one that the US does NOT want US citizens to see is their direct democracy, they hold meeting, people explain their problems, the advisors listen, and something happens.... I mean, its still not perfect, but its working, and it would be a issue if the majority of US citizens understood a system like that.

Lastly... once we find an alternative to oil, many of these types of issues will dissolve, almost all this garbage is over oil.

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

And it's just not Obama. It's not just Bush. It's a build up that has been happening for decades. I do think it's wise to proceed with caution on some places, and I don't think Obama has any sort of that sense. If it were Chavez successor, I could see being more open, but Chavez has blasted the US.

5. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Well, Chavez hasn't actually done anything to the US, except say ridiculous (to the point of hilarity) things about the US and especially good ol' G. Bush (like when he basically called him the devil at a UN session). But he has not concretely threatened the US physically or militarily. Venezuela is not harboring or producing any terrorists like the Bin Laden type. And obviously Venezuelan military itself can't possibly attack the US.

As far as I can tell, the entire issue of Venezuela mostly boils down to oil and how Venezuela interacts with other countries, like other Latin American countries -- which could influence how US interacts with those same countries. That's about it. So, the fact that Chavez has blasted US, as you say, doesn't mean much, I think. I believe he's just a bag of hot air. So if Obama can diffuse that hot air by engaging him, I think he should go right ahead.

What could be the downside of Chavez being friendly suddenly?

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I think being cautious is a big thing. I don't have a problem with Obama or any other president trying to be friendly. However, I feel like Obama is rushing to be the un-Bush rather than his own person. In light of Chavez stance of "the US sucks, we hate you" I find Obama's running down to Venezula with arms wide open a bit unnerving.

I don't have a problem with him being diplomatic. Can't hurt, and I don't blame him for giving it a shot. I just feel he's jumped in too quickly and run through things too fast. The way he's been running around the world makes me think he's more concerned with making sure everybody likes us over other things. Noble goal, but a bit on the naive side.

7. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

i take it you didn't watch that film??? He has every right to, the US gov and corporations have been destroying Venezuela for YEARS. If Obama can actually engage them diplomatically that would be a HUGE step for both of us. Obviously Chavez isn't dangerous, he isn't going to attack the US, thats just stupid, he is way to busy with his own nation, he's just venting frustrations.

8. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

Although It doesn't affect us Brits quite as immediately I do have to say I breathed a sigh of relief when he was elected - watched a few documentaries about him and interviews, he seems honest enough. He's gotta be the lesser of the two evils though?

A brilliant quote from the latest Chris Rock 'Kill the messenger' tour I watched the other night.

"...America's not ready for a Black president?..... Well it should be! It just had a retarded one!.. " Classic

9. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

Err.. Swansen? Didn't I actually agree with you entirely on both points: 1.) Obama is doing the right thing by engaging diplomatically and 2.) that Chavez is not dangerous?

You seem to be arguing with me... lol

10. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

sorry, honestly i just misunderstood you... my bad.

11. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I don't get it... why is Chavez so bad? As far as I know, he turned over a US-appointed dictatorship in his own country in a democratic election and ejected abusive foreigners with no allegiance to the well being of his people. My Latin-American political savvy isn't as good as it could be, that much is certain. But I don't see why Chavez is perceived in such a light.

12. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

You pretty much named why he is seen as he is, and i think i already posted, but i'll re-iterate. From what i understand, it was more US corporations had a strangle hold on Venezuela as a whole, resources, direction, its people, everything. Chavez basically kicked that down, so they were like wait, no, our millions in slave dollars, so the propaganda ensues. If we can turn the American people against him, maybe we can get our control back. Thats pretty much what i've gathered.