The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\D

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by itye, Jul 19, 2005.

1. itye

itye Geek Trainee

Ive had no problems with my PC for months, then the other day I was burning a DVD with dvd clone and later in the event viewer noticed the following error message :- The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\D

MSI neo 875P FISR2 (ver 2)
    I have 2 SATA drives (seagate 160GB and Maxtor 120GB) on the sata channels
    and a 120GB Maxtor IDE
    NEC DVD Writer
    SAMSUNG VCD Writer

Ive diagnosed all the hard disk with both seagate and maxtor tools and found no errors running exchaustive tests.

Ive seen numerous answers to this problem but none really answer the question. Is this a hard disk controller fault on the board!? is it a software driver issue with ICH5 chipsets and SATA ? does burning a DVD cause this ?

Also which one is \Device\Harddisk1\D is it thae SATA primary or IDE primary?

Im not sure whther to RMA the board or not, this is my second Motherboard and really dont want to send it back.

Hope someone can help!

2. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

do you havea raid setup?

3. itye

itye Geek Trainee

Hi ,

No have no raid set p just 2 sata hdds, 1 ide hdd, 1 ide dvd rw and 1 ide cd writer

Thanks

4. zaz19

zaz19 Geek Trainee

This error can be caused by USB drive devices - ie Digital Card reader in a printer. In my case it was an Epson 785EPX. If in doubt boot with the device removed or turned off and see if you still get the error.

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

IDE devices are identified by setting a jumper on each device, master or slave, on either the primary or secondary IDE channel (maximum of 4 IDE devices) SATA devices are only 1 device per cable (probably 4 SATA ports) SATA identify devices still use the same id as IDE (i think),

• IDE
      Primary Master - IDE0
      Primary Slave - IDE1
      Secondary Master - IDE2
      Secondary Slave - IDE3
    • SATA
      Port1 - SATA0
      Port2 - SATA1
      Port3 - SATA2
      Port4 - SATA3
    so you should start diagnosing the HDD on SATA 1 (\Device\Harddisk1\D)

bold is probably refering to D: (drive)

other input, comments and / or corrections welcome