The free music thread

Discussion in 'Concert Hall' started by Impotence, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

This is NOT a thread for copyright infringement! Please do not post links to sites that host copyrighted music which does not have a license that allows you to make a copy without having to pay for it!

Music is always better when you can share it with your friends :)

I'm hoping this thread will become a list of sites where you can download music that has a Creative Commons (or similar) license. I'm going to start the thread with....

Jamendo.com
    I came across Jamendo while using stumbleupon, but i am surprised that i had not heard about it before!

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Jamendo is a good one, and now they're actually starting to present the higher-grade music out front, which is nice. You don't have to wade through as much "hobbyist" music that way. :) Audio - Creative Commons Is another good source of free and independent music.

3. Pimp

Pimp Captain of USS Defiant

Never heard of Jamendo but checked it out and it looks really good thanks for sharing the info :)

4. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

5. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Magnatune: license music and MP3 download is another good source of free music; all of their albums are licensed under the creative commons (non-commercial attribution I believe), so you can use them in non-profit projects. If you want to buy the music, you have multiple format choices with no DRM, and they split the take with the artist 50/50. Great label.