The Great HL2 & D3 and other games Debate!

Discussion in 'Video Gaming' started by zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG, Apr 9, 2005.

1. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

I thought source was horrible. The hitboxes are off by quite a bit, the guns are more accurate, the guns are more powerful, running speed is increased, flashbang effect was strengthened, this just leading up to easier kills. Also you'll find a lot more of kiddie scrubs abusing admin powers in source.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Doom 3 was scary the first time through, but going through it after that wasn't really frightening. Now, FarCry's Trigens do scare the bejeezus out of me playing through it time and time again.

Plotwise, HL2 nor D3 was exactly innovative. I have CS:S, but I have yet to play it. I'm just not into CS.

3. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Never touched CS, cos I only had internet on my decent pc around xmas time, so HL2 was my little treat for finally fixing our network problems. CS:S changed gaming for me, as nerdish as that sounds.

Insanely awesome game, and I'm sure the original was even better, but I *love* source more than any other game I've played.

In fact the only game to top it, as far as I am concerned, was Final Fantasy VII, or any of the MGS series.

4. ninja fetus

if you love source your really missing out. it's really pooping all over the CS name. I'll try and get a link to cs 1.3 soon. Trying very hard to find a good mirror. 1.6 is tainted with steam. Scope delays+auto snipers accuracy, power increase is a real biatch.

5. Scream

Scream Geek Trainee

HL2 any day its a better game doom3 is very good but where HL2 pulls away from it is the mutiplayers.. and mods (CS Source) doom3s multiplayer is well Sh*t

6. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

That could be because the Doom series was never meant to be multiplayer, the first Doom had a multiplayer option, yes, but it was mainly co-operative play or a limited deathmatch. Half life was meant for Multiplayer, but multiplayer doesn't make the game, if that were true then Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory would logically be the best game in the world along with all MMORPGs, seeing as it's totally multiplayer.

Storyline is essential to me in games too, truth be told, Doom 3 doesn't have much of a storyline: Battle undead hell spawn to find a way to close the gate to hell to save earth. Granted, no much of a plot, but at least it HAS a storyline. All Half Life 2 seems to be is a long string of meaningless missions, carelessly thrown together in a string that's supposed to flow like a story. :rolleyes:

7. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Gee WWR, I'm starting to think you don't care much for HL2! :p

8. ninja fetus

but his avatar says otherwise

9. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Thought I'd join in with the quoting lol.

Yeah we are getting some mixed messages here...Freeman's a horny devil, but Doom 3 is the better game?!

And Doom 3 was what exactly?

Ultra-hard Marine that doesn't talk much turns up on random planet after beeing discharged from marines after taking out a superior officer as he was told to shoot civilians, plays the good guy sent to kill teh bad guys.

Mars..aliens...all hell breaks lose...monsters...dark...same guns..stupid AI...

*cough* Cliche *cough*

:p

10. Fred

Fred Moderator

Ok, instead of having a debate about all of this, i think I can settle it all right now... They both weren't the games that they should've been. How's that? :p

11. ninja fetus

I saw a guy high on robitussin get into a fight with a gordon freeman life size cardboard cut out :)! I seriously fell on the ground laughing

12. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Lol where was that??

13. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

My avatar is Freeman, advertising he's the devil as in evil. Otherwise I would have put a halo round his head. :p

That's what I meant Waffle, Doom 3 had a cliche'd storyline, but at least it was one single storyline, even if it was about saving the world from the terrors of hellspawn like the previous games in the series, where there is really no reason to do what you're meant to in Half Life 2.

14. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

yeah lol hl2 didn't make much sense to me, having never played hl.

just randomly spawn on a train and get abused by guys in masks...

15. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

Half Life 1 you randomly spawned on a train on your way to work, don't worry, you don't need to know anything about HL1 to do well in HL2. :D

16. Cooper

Cooper Geek Trainee

Half-Life 2.

I don't like the doom 3 engine.

17. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I don't think Doom 3 was necessarily optimized as well as it could've been. It's the first game on the Doom 3 engine. If it takes off like Quake 3 does in terms of games being based on the engine, we might see some smoother running games.

Both games really got more hype due to fanboys on either side, no question. That in turn raised expectations, and people were disappointed.

18. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

I agree with you there Big B, neither of the games lived up to their expectations, but some of the things I heard about the hopes of the games was enough to make me wonder if there was technology to run that kind of thing! Seriously I was hearing stuff like if you zoomed in on a human's face you could see beads of sweat, and the large monsters drooled and you could see each individual drop. Don't know about you guys but I sure wouldn't have been able to run that kinda power. :D

19. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

lol me either I just borrowed Hl1 off a friend and as soon as i can get something off my hd and install it im gunna play, ive heard its good game but obviously with the age of it the gfx r turd

20. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The last game to really impress me was Jedi Academy. It had a few bugs, but it had a variety of missions to play. Wasn't necessarily the highest rated game, but it was fun. I'm hoping that Serious Sam 2 will be similar to Serious Sam: First and Second Encounter's. That's run 'n gun gameplay with nothing other than pretty much shoot anything that moves.