The Great HL2 & D3 and other games Debate!

Discussion in 'Video Gaming' started by zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

I was gunna borrow jedi academy off addis, and ive never heard of serious sam

2. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

Big B, one word for you: Painkiller. Just like serious sam in that you have to run around and kill everything that moves with ENORMOUS bosses, but it's a dark setting, and when you collect the souls of 66 enemies you transform into a demon.

And HL1 was massivly overrated, everyone loved it for Counter-Strike really.

3. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

painkiller...hm, insane physics, not as decent as hl2's but im a physics fan boy. They do rule though, specially with the stake gun. That is sweet.......

Story's bollocks tho :p

4. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

True, but it's got about the same kind of story as Serious Sam, it's good for some mindless fun though. And the stake gun REALLY rules, especially pinning to the wall by their hand/head! Or when you kill them with a shotgun at point blank range! Let the bodies fly!

Edit: Nice title change btw. ;)

5. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

I really like Red Orchestra, a mod for UT2k4. Very realistsic, but kind of bothersome when you run around for 5 minutes to get your head blown off.

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Played Painkiller, not too bad. Having secrets to unlocking the Tarot cards and the like is something that makes it a high replay value for me. Didn't know there were that many shades of brown before, though. :p

I'm waiting for Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil to drop in price, which should sometime early next month...when I might've actually had some free time to get some stuff done. (yeah, right)

7. ninja fetus

I haven't played painkiller.

However I did see a little DoomIII number pad thing. I don't know what it would be used for. It was next to those "Z-boards" Kinda kreeped me out. Who wants their hands resting on a bleeding rotting ogre?

8. beretta9m2f

beretta9m2f Karate-Chop Action Gabe

Doom 3 or Half life 2?
    Someone said apples and oranges earlier- I would have to agree. They both are extremely gorgeous games and are fun to play. If you like apples and oranges, get both. They both come up short in some areas. Doom 3 has a dark atmosphere, sometimes TOO dark to kill something. Doom 3 was missing something in the physics department. You could knock down a trash can thats about it. All those pretty graphics, and you couldn't do much with it, i want to see some steel flyin around, some concrete smashin (Red Faction anyone?) "Geomod technology" from red faction was something that developers should expand upon. Doom 3 is nothing new in the series but hey, if it aint broke don't fix it. Too bad it wasn't a duke nukem game, nothing better than one liners after blowing up an alien. Other than that, Doom was awesome!

Half life 2, superb Game. Doesn't require much thinking. Storyline is okay, what little is coherent that is, but it doesn't take away from the fun and the overall experience. My gripe with this game is that i haven't been able to pick up people with the gravity gun! Fun to use but come on i want to fling some bodies on some barrels (Psyops anyone?) If you play psyops for ps2 or pc if its out, THATS the way you use a physics engine! You get to toss bodies and pick up objects with your telekenisis, one of a few other mind powers you get. I suggest everyone play it unless you hate 3rd person games.

Most people's gripes for Doom 3 are about sytem requirements. If you lower the quality to medium you can beef up the resolution, unless your eyes are ulrta good you won't notice much difference. My system runs it on the ultra quality with 1280*1024 on an msi geforceFX 5950, member those? With doom 3 it also helps if you've got more ram. I noticed the game ran much smoother when i upgraded to 1.5gigs of ram rather than the 1 gig i had.

Anyway i have both games, they are both awesome and offer different ways to entertain someone. Here's a piece of advice, don't buy into hype. Play the game as if you read nothing about it. If its fun then who cares if it WAS going to have beads of sweat close up lol, s'all about the action! Besides.....Metal Gear Solid 3 is the better game!

9. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

"My gripe with this game is that i haven't been able to pick up people with the gravity gun!"

You haven't finished HL2 then, have you :p

10. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

Haha!

Something he's got to look forward to. ;)

Metal Gear Solid is a better game, but Devil May Cry 3 is much better than MGS3. Just my personal opinion though.

11. ninja fetus

I'd rather play james bond: goldeneye for n64 over doomIII and HL2.

12. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

teh n1nj4 i5 0ld 5k0o1!!!11eleven

am i right with my leet? :p

13. spuff

spuff Big Geek

"My gripe with this game is that i haven't been able to pick up people with the gravity gun!"
    Yeah, not to spoil it but I love it when you drop a body and it just twitches around helplessly and then throw it down the middle of the Citadel! :dsmile2:

14. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

I don't like James Bond, he's too goody-goody, that's why I like Goldeneye: Rogue Agent for GC. ;)

15. beretta9m2f

AWESOME hah! I had no clue when you beat the game (HL2) you get to fling bodies, thats more like it! Now i've got some incentive to keep playing the game between Research papers, midterms, and finals!! ughhh I'm tired of school...One more year then its off to being a teacher and passing on the anguish to future students! BTW, Is counter strike source better than 1.6? all STEAM aside, iknow STEAM is annoying; is the game better? (i've been playing half life 2 off of a friend so i haven't been able to play cs source but i'm thinking of buying it)

16. beretta9m2f

Loved Devil May Cry 3, if you like that game DEFINITELY try God of War, it is awesome. Similar , yet very different

17. ninja fetus

no. Source is not better. I know people that have bought source, come over and played 1.6 at my house then bought 1.6

It may look pretty, but it sucks balls. A new term "source noob" has arisen. This stems from all the kiddies, noobs, and scrubs that only play source because the guns are easy to headshot. The game is much easier and boring. It's not common for a 1.6 player to get ratio's of 15-1 or greater in source.

18. beretta9m2f

Yeah I just played it since i posted on my friend's laptop, talk about easy. Graphics are nice though. I mayyyy buy it. If i install source, will it "swallow" my 1.6? Meaning, will i still be able to play 1.6 or source whenever i wish?

19. ninja fetus

yeah you can switch back between

20. dannnyjos

dannnyjos Big Geek

FARCRY all the way baby :agree: