The worst anime ever... ?

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Anime and Manga' started by CrimsonMech, Jun 5, 2004.

1. CrimsonMech

CrimsonMech Geek Trainee

Whats the worst anime ever made?

current contenders:

-Sailor Moon.
    -([anything henti])
    -Yu-Gi-Oh.
    -([Your worst anime here]).

What do you really hate?
    Which animation should have stayed a bunch of sketches on a japanese draw?

share your thoughts...

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I'm probably committing a cardinal sin here, but I'd have to say it's a toss up between Ghost in the Shell (the movie) and Neon Genesis Evangelion. GitS is compressing a story that probably should've been a miniseries into a movie less than 90 minutes. NGE is just screwed up: everyone of the main characters has some social problem to deal with. Shinji is a wuss, for starters. I also think that it's been given too much credit for being so great. Now, I still think you need to watch it since it's a classic and decide for yourself.

3. CrimsonMech

CrimsonMech Geek Trainee

Its one thing to slate one of the top 5 animes (even if just top 5 well known); its another to state that 2 of them are crap.

I will pray that the forum gods look down on you and divert the eyes of others.

May that same god have mercy on you.

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

With NGE, you have two kinds of people: those who love it and those who loathe it. GitS animation is probably the best I've seen, but the story was awful. Style doesn't hurt, but it helps to have something other than just slick art.

5. CrimsonMech

CrimsonMech Geek Trainee

The story was not awful, it was just poorly implemented with too many fictional "units" and "committees" and "organisations" each with its own poorly explained political agenda with no frame of refrence to be put into.

but once youve read-up on it and seen it a few times, youll begin to unravel just wtf the story is on about and can apreciate it ad the masterpeice it is.

i personally cant possibly agree that ANY anime film can be worse then the sorry excuses for series the anime sweat shops produce. anime series are so numerous that the market has been saturated and its rare that a really good (or plain successful) one sticks out. examples being NGE, cowboy bebop, fma, noir...

Crim

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I think that GitS should've been at least a miniseries to really go in depth the way Shirow made it.

Samurai Deeper Kyo is one series that while not great, was fun to watch. Unfortunately, the dubs are downright painful to watch (just in English).

Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 is kinda weak. The art was there, but something in the writing just didn't make it as dynamic as the original 8-ep OVA. I'm hoping that BGC Tokyo 2041 that's supposed to come out soon is better than 2040, but I'm not holding my breath.

7. CrimsonMech

CrimsonMech Geek Trainee

Dont you just hate those f*****g animes on kids morning tv?

Pokemon was ok if youre still drunk from the night before, but all this crap about colelcting monsters/cards/spirits/slewn foes/discs/woks/acient toasters gets right on my tits!

please stop broardcasting this crap!

8. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

9. CrimsonMech

CrimsonMech Geek Trainee

Dont get me wrong.

I LOVE anime. I love the art, the ideas, the stories, the characters, the ethos, the style, the music, the sounds, the foerign aspects, the cultures, the fans, the respect, the trivia, the intelegance, the explosions, the 3d, the atmosphere, the colours, the (sometimes) sexy women, the blatent acceptance of artificality, the understated themes, the love, the hate, the relationships, the technology, the mechs, the creatures, the elemental point of view, the asthetic orgasms, the varience between different animes.

I just dont like the crappy ones that brig down the good ones and make fans look like they watch "cartoons" (shudder at the word).

Its so much more than the shite they show on UK tv and when i say to someone "yeah im an anime fan" they go "oh those japanese cartoons?" or "i perfer soaps" or "whats anime" and frequently "No, i dont like that crap" when they have no point of reference at all or if they do its the stuff i spoke about above.

i hope you dont feel i dont respect fellow anime fans or those inclined to the more "childish" or less "stylish" animes. I love you all as if you were my own 3rd cousin, twice removed with no inheratance ;).

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I edited Procal's post because it was nothing more than flamebait. I've seen Japan's influence in American media long before what seems to be a very recent perked intrest in Japanese animation. I usually just go by what I'm hearing about and then decide if I like it.

11. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

This thread is dusty, but in the interest of humanity I have to toss my $.02 into the mix. :p Ever seen Hack Sign? If not, let me save you the time & misery by summing it up for you. Over the course of 26 episodes, we glean the following primary story points:

1) Protagonist, a young boy, is mysteriously stuck in a MMPORPG and cannot log out
    2) Protagonist is a big fat wimp with no personality
    3) Protagonist is also a butthole who doesn't like anybody, however people seem to like him anyway (for some unknown reason)
    4) "Friends" of protagonist seek to find out why protagonist is stuck in MMPORPG
    5) Female friend falls in love with protagonist
    6) MMPORPG world ends!
    7) Turns out the protagonist is really a girl playing as a boy avatar, who was stuck in the game because she was logged in while she was in a coma

Summary: A boring, wimpy & unlikable lesbian plays a game she doesn't like for a while because she's in a coma. This over 26 episodes! The entire time I watched this anime, I hoped that something, anything would happen. After the anti-climactic finale, I wanted to hunt down the sick bastards who had inked that utter crap, pick them off one by one, then do myself in.

12. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yeah, a few people liked the .hack stuff, but for the most part, it seems...boring.

13. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

oh...thats what it was about...i saw one episode and was left in mass confusion. but there wasnt enough confusion and curiosity to overcome its lame-ness

14. CrimsonMech

CrimsonMech Geek Trainee

thanks for the warning