Thermal Pad or Thermal Paste?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG, Jun 25, 2005.

1. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

What are really the pros and cons to both sides, im probably on the side with paste with arctic silver 5, but what advantages do pads have?

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Pads aren't as messy to apply, making them easier in that aspect. However, pastes are generally superior due to better heat transfer (when applied correctly). You are also able to fit the pastes to the area you need whereas the pads I've seen are all one size. CPU die vs. an entire northbridge (like the nForce) vs an Intel i845 with an Flip-Chip BGA.
    Pastes are easy to find, whereas pads are pretty rare from what I've seen.

3. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

I prefer paste too, they have a better heat transfer but are messy. I hardly see pads around but like B said Id assume they were less messy.

4. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

amd ships pads with the stock heatsinks :rolleyes:

5. Addis

Addis The King

I have a "thing" about thermal paste. With my AXP I literally covered the die, and every single one of the protuding parts with the stuff. Including those little resistor like things found on the tbreds. Now the pink plastic wrapper i kept it in before i installed it on my new mobo has a clearimageof the CPU with the paste.

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

So does Intel. For that application, the retail package, I can see it being of some use. It's less of a hassle and they're covering their own arse and reducing the number of folks unknowingly creamating their shiny new CPU. Not best solution, but it's better than nothing. Everyone will do dumb stuff with their PC, and the companies know this. They can't prevent every little dumb thing, but they can do something about common problems and this is one of them.

Of course, I do recommend paste because it's better in the long run. As long as it's applied correctly. With any good product, instructions are included, but not everyone reads them (including myself sometimes).

7. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

8. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

yes paste, but it seems that they ship it retailly because its alot easier to put it on and alot harder to screw up.

9. ninja fetus

also the thermal pad acts as a cushion for people to not chip the processor. Also the pad's used so you can't OC at all becuase the temps will be so high.

10. ninja fetus

Using any thermal paste voids AMD's warranty unless it's some special one which the name doesn't come to mind. They'll never know if you just take rubbing alcohol and clean it off though.

11. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

yeah i got my coolers on the way, my northbridge is fixed on with pad i think, not too sure about my cpu as it ships with pad but the shop i got it from uses paste so aint sure whats under there, what is the best for removing the stuff as i have arctic silver coming as well so i'll use that instead

12. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

I use Artic Silver Ceramique, yes, Artic Silver Ceramique.

13. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

aha i got arctic silver 5 on the way, jus been reading up on how to remove old pads/paste, some say just use cotton buds, others say 100% alcohol, others say scrape it off, what do you think is the best way?

14. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

I just wiped it off with a rag, bet then again I was replacing it with the same paste.

15. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

scraping it off is definately not the thing to do, you could leave some on that you can't see, or if you are using a tool you can obviously damage the component.

alcohol is the safe way to go.

16. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

ahh well i think i'll try wiping it off, if not then i'll use alcohol or something,

17. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

yeah that could work

18. ninja fetus

rubbing alcohol is the best, a high grade above 70%. I use a plastic card to scrape my ooze off first then whipe it clean with rubbing alcohol

19. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

ok so scraping = bad, wiping = good, alcohol = good

20. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

ok so can u get rubbing alcohol in chemists in uk? will it get thermal pads off as well?